Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car stalling after battery change

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 08:55 AM

That's a very handy picture-drawing of the "Integrated Power Module" Qinteq, I've copied it and put it in "my pictures". Every GV owner should do this, you never know when you'll need it.

Leedsman.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:38 PM

SNAP...Yes very handy...Need a few more of these pictures as we go along on different faults.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
You need to find out where the live feed to the overhead video is coming from, this is easier to do before you pull it out.

In #33 you said """ the radio stays on and I have to manually switch it off """, do you mean :

- the radio stays on for a couple of minutes, and then automatically switches itself off, or ;
- do you mean the radio never switches itself off .... ever .... unless you switch it of manually

It never switches off unless I switch it off.

Checked the IOD fuse after work and its got thin electric wire wrapped around the blades . I will do it tomorrow properly

Old 08-22-2014, 05:13 PM

Is there a fuse I can pull to have the battery disconnected when I park up at night or what terminal do I need to disconnect without having to do both

Old 08-22-2014, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by darkcild101
It never switches off unless I switch it off.

Checked the IOD fuse after work and its got thin electric wire wrapped around the blades . I will do it tomorrow properly
- it should [1st stage] switch off automatically after a couple of minutes, and should [2nd stage] be arbitrarily [along with interior lights etc] be powered down after 20 mins
- yes take the piggin wire off it, what happens now ?

Old 08-22-2014, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by darkcild101
Is there a fuse I can pull to have the battery disconnected when I park up at night or what terminal do I need to disconnect without having to do both
- yes the IOD fuse will / should switch all draw from the radio and stuff while its sleeping
- Chrysler actually tell their own staff to pull the IOD if the vehicle is going to be parked up for shipping / airport 2 week holiday etc

Old 08-22-2014, 05:42 PM

- it should [1st stage] switch off automatically after a couple of minutes, and should [2nd stage] be arbitrarily [along with interior lights etc] be powered down after 20 mins
- yes take the piggin wire off it, what happens now ?
so if it not switching off what could be causing this

Old 08-23-2014, 06:43 AM

"Chrysler actually tell their own staff to pull the IOD if the vehicle is going to be parked up for shipping / airport 2 week holiday etc".

Looks like scope for a convenient mod. here. Something like using a blown fuse as a connector to the IOD fuseholder, pair of wires from it and a replacement in-line fuse leading to an internal switch the driver can operate conveniently.
Could be a very cheap way of fixing the "flat-battery" syndrome?

I might even try that myself....

Leedsman.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
"Chrysler actually tell their own staff to pull the IOD if the vehicle is going to be parked up for shipping / airport 2 week holiday etc".

Looks like scope for a convenient mod. here. Something like using a blown fuse as a connector to the IOD fuseholder, pair of wires from it and a replacement in-line fuse leading to an internal switch the driver can operate conveniently.
Could be a very cheap way of fixing the "flat-battery" syndrome?

I might even try that myself....

Leedsman.
Its a 'parasitic specific' way of continuing motoring life as we know it until the real cause problem can be identified and sorted. Its in their workshop manuals as a workaround for shipping etc. In just 6 weeks the weather will be on the turn and we are back to GV cold start battery syndrome. If darkcild101 doesn't get a grip of the problem by winter pulling the IOD or back-wiring in an 'in cabin' IOD switch might be the only salvation s/he has.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:16 AM

IOD stands for 'Ignition-Off Draw'

A vehicle that is constantly drained of battery every morning, including in this case a brand new battery has to have that power drawn by something that is happening when the IGN is in the OFF position. I thought from the O/P's earlier post it was because he was not taking the key out properly leaving it in ACC the position - now he has cured that user error it suggests the next culprit is :

• electrical items left on.
• faulty or improperly adjusted switches.
• faulty or shorted electronic modules and components.
• An internally shorted generator.
• Intermittent shorts in the wiring

The 1st item is something the O/P can look at himself, for example that aftermarket roof mounted video setup etc. Ordinarily these eurovans need 0.015 to 0.025 milliamperes even when switched off [IOD position] to maintain the memory for the powertrain control module [PCM], digital clock, electronically tuned radio, and other bits and pieces depending on the spec. If his car is pulling more than 25 milliamps 20 minutes after its switched off that can drain the battery overnight. Like your own issue with that stray wire to the headlight some nuggett may have plumbed in a wire to the IPM on a permanent live to that overhead video unit or elsewhere that is also live and switched on permanent and no one knows about it - its a process of elimination.

The door loom always breaks in exactly the same 'pinch point' on all these vans and is an easy fix - however, again, there should be no power ['Ignition-Off Draw'] to the doors when its in sleep mode.
So whats the fix for the doors? The left side one works sometimes the right one never. Only works using the overhead switch and not the ones on the doors themselves

Quick Reply: Car stalling after battery change