Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL after replacing O2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 01:39 PM
Question CEL after replacing O2 sensors

I've got a 2004 T&C 3.3L front wheel drive that I just replaced both O2 sensors on. I replaced both with Bosch brand sensors from AutoZone, the downstream one should have tipped me off when they had the wrong part in the right box. I've since put the (I'm assuming) correct ones in their proper places, but am getting confused and annoyed.

My CEL is still on, and I've checked both the OBD2 scanner and the onboard diagnostic (turning the key multiple times to show P codes). OBD2 shows 0032, 0038, and 0038PD, onboard shows 0522, 0032, and 0038. I know 0522 is something to do with the oil pressure sensor (it's only done this since my O2 sensors went bad) but I can't figure out why the other codes are coming up.

I've pulled battery power for a few hours hoping to reset the computer, no such luck. I've driven it maybe 60 miles since replacing the second O2 sensor. I've tried to erase the codes using the scanner; no luck there either.

I really don't want to bring it in to the mechanic, since I'm laid off; I figured this was something I could do myself.

Side note, I noticed that if I plug in my block heater my oil light doesn't come on - it also shuts off if I turn it on, notice the light, and immediately turn it back off then restart it. There is no known oil leak, and all fluids look good including levels.

The research I've done tells me that the 0032 is the "HO2S Heater control circuit high bank 1 sensor 1", and the 0038 is the "HO2S Heater control circuit high bank 1 sensor 2". If I understand correctly, the PD portion indicates it's a pending problem which occurred recently?

Extra info (I don't know if the following will help at all but hey) is below.

I'm not sure if the O2 sensors are "universal" but the pictures on the box and what's represented online, are not the same as the part I pulled out. The upstream sensor is approx. 16 1/2" tip to tip, and the end that has the sensor is "honeycombed." Looking at it closer, there is a brand "Denso" with some numbers (56026052AA above the brand, 5920-06E09 below). The wires leading to the wiring harness are wrapped with a spring for the first few inches, then covered with wire loom to the Molex plug. The new sensor that I installed, I believe, does not have the same look to the base i.e. non-honeycombed, and the wires are wrapped end to end with what looks like heat-shrink tubing. The connection matched, but since it's an 04 GM product, that seems like it would be a universal fit.

Any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: I went back to AutoZone today and asked them about what was happening, and to what I understand, their OBD2 reader found that both of my O2 sensors are "faulty." When I explained that I had just replaced the upstream maybe 4 days ago, meaning it's a brand-new part, I was told that it's more than likely an electrical problem. Not in so many words, but I was told to bring it to either a mechanic, or back to the dealer where it was purchased. So, I'm not sure where to turn now.

Last edited by ghost55768; 01-15-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

the sensors are not faulty they are not compatible with Chrysler get NTK or denso