Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.5CRD flat battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 06:08 PM
Talking Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.5CRD flat battery

I just bought a Grand Voyager 2.5 CRD and love the car. But in my 1st week I had a flat battery 2 times already
Suspecting an electronics drain I searched the web and found that many Chrysler owners have or had this problem.

One solution I encountered is the possibility that the ignition key of the car is switched off incorrectly, resulting in the dooralarm sound after key is removed and odometer still showing numbers.

If switched off correctly (pressing the button, turning key counterclockwise then 1 click back) the dooralarm does not sound when leaving the car and odo meter switches off directly after removing the key.
That seems to be the trick for me after a few days without flat battery.

Anyone else has the same experiences?
And why the hell isn't this communicated by the Chrysler dealers and garages?

Old 06-01-2014, 07:18 PM

HiYa Vmaxxer,

why the hell isn't this communicated by the Chrysler dealers and garages
It's in the handbook, see below :

Name:  NfkynEp.png
Views: 135
Size:  74.7 KB

Even if you have no handbook, if you look at the plastic surrounding the key insert you will see a clearly defined elevated [in relief] plastic line 'key removal point', so defined in fact that a blind man could feel it without sight. Welcome to the GV owners forum, they do suffer badly with 'parasitic drain' that's something you have to look forward to next winter. There's plenty of info in the forum - if you are stuck - just ask my friend.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:52 PM

Ok I can understand everyone with a few working braincells should get this, and I consider myself pretty smart, but even I was tricked by this easy mistake originally and left the car while the dooralarm was still beeping, thinking "well maybe its a Chrysler thingy.."
I read a lot about it and found theres many many owners making this error.
Of course there can also be some 'parasitic drain' problem too but I think this should be excluded before looking for other problems.
I hope this was it for me, future will tell.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:47 PM

Used the car all weekend as a camper and getting the key out in proper position AND switching the car interior dimmer to OFF revealed I have no further problems with power leaks.
I was just ignorant

Old 06-09-2014, 04:30 AM

Never really bothered to check what position it comes out. I turn and pull it. Can it come out in 'acc' then? Or has the OP got a well worn ignition switch?

Old 06-09-2014, 05:29 AM

It doesn't feel "worn" but its easy to pull the key out in 'ACC' position in my car. And that's exactly what happened to me a few times leaving me with a flat battery.
But now that won't happen any more now!

Old 06-12-2014, 06:48 AM

My key will not come out in the wrong position you have to press the button behind the key to take the key out and it will only do that in the correct position maybe the cars where you can take the key out in the wrong place the key or barrel are slightly worn

Old 06-12-2014, 01:19 PM

Very well possible. But now I know it I pay attention

Old 06-12-2014, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by pete@co.uk
My key will not come out in the wrong position you have to press the button behind the key to take the key out and it will only do that in the correct position maybe the cars where you can take the key out in the wrong place the key or barrel are slightly worn
I think the button behind the key is only fitted to manual versions. With auto boxes the shift lever has to be in the park position before the key can be removed.