Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2007 grand voyager flat battery after 24hr

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 04:22 AM
Question 2007 grand voyager flat battery after 24hr

Hi there, I have a 2007 grand voyager and the battery goes flat after 24hrs. The battery was replaced Nov 2011. This problem has been occuring over the last 4 weeks. The battery has a constant draw of 1.3amps on it. The auto tech has checked the altenator, air con and a number of other checks. the data loop has a draw of 0.1amps and turned off after 5mins.
There are no lights, ignition or accessories on as well.
Please help
Thanks Adrian
Australia

Old 02-29-2012, 02:06 PM

Ya, 1.3 amps is way to high. Looking for around 50 millliamps or less. Did the tech pull fuses while watching the meter?

http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvice...-battery-drain

Old 03-01-2012, 03:17 PM

Thanks for your help. Yes he has pulled the fuses, yesterday he found fuse IOD was drawing excessive amps when pulled. Still checking today. thanks

Old 03-01-2012, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Adrian
Thanks for your help. Yes he has pulled the fuses, yesterday he found fuse IOD was drawing excessive amps when pulled. Still checking today. thanks
Remind your tech that on some of the fuses, especially the IOD, when he plugs it back in, it wakes up the BUS and you have to start over again.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:27 PM

I thought the BUS was still active for 15 minutes after you think its asleep. After everything is locked and alarmed and you walk away .. .. but the car is still checking for issues. Eventually if - after a quarter of an hour no one returns it will only then go to sleep.

For example if you deliberately leave on one rear cabin interior light, lock up and alarm etc and watch the car .. .. it will wait 15 minutes before it switches off the interior light for you.

The best crude way I know of reading the true activity is to (1) tape up the bonnet / hood switch and (2) read before and after 20 minutes with the IOD in place, then (3) do the same with the IOD completely pulled. Do it that way and you will get very different results before and after the 15 minute period.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:15 PM

I cringe when I read it but some disconnect the battery then hold the cables together to discharge any residual power.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Raptor 07
I cringe when I read it but some disconnect the battery then hold the cables together to discharge any residual power.
- who do you know that did that ?

Old 03-02-2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Raptor 07
Originally Posted by QinteQ
It's called a capacitive discharge. It wipes out all the learned memory in all the modules and can sometimes cure a module that has locked itself down in sleep mode.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by TNtech
It's called a capacitive discharge. It wipes out all the learned memory in all the modules and can sometimes cure a module that has locked itself down in sleep mode.
- thanks for the clarity TNtech, I tried [no success] to do [FCD] just exactly that
- I assumed Raptor 07 was referencing this thread in general, and myself in the particular
- I also assumed Raptor 07 meant it in a none adversarial, tongue~in~cheek, joking way

Old 03-02-2012, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
Simply read it several times over 8 years of cruising forums. Wasn't aware of your other thread. It was a general statement for all and not necessarily intended for your exact situation. I will be clearer next time. No personal inference intended there QinteQ.

I've asked Chrysler techs if that is accepted practice and was told yes. My fear is any break between them, for instance slapping them together and they bounce apart even a micron, could create an arc and voltage surge and trash a microprocessor in a module. Working avionics in the AF, I've seen similar happen. May be one of those moves that works just fine a hundred times but then bites you. I'm a patient man. I'll wait the 15 minutes. Dealership and shop techs on a clock probably don't have that option. Sounds like a useful last resort option in the case of a module "locked in sleep mode".

Last edited by Raptor 07; 03-02-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Quick Reply: 2007 grand voyager flat battery after 24hr