Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8 CRD (year 2006) random shutdown, no diagnostic code

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 11:10 AM
Default Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8 CRD (year 2006) random shutdown, no diagnostic code

Hi guys.

I've a Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8 CRD (year 2006) with really few mileage, that look like have some problem with the engine.
I've tried to look at the forum, but I've not seen a case similar to mine.

1) Sometime there are problem starting the engine engine crank but will not start. Start the engine could take a crank 15-20 second long with no cylinder ingintion or 2-3 trials). Battery is pretty new and starting motor are ok.

2) At low idle speed you can notice that engine run rough, is unstable and look like is "misfiring".
Engine runs better while warming. The dealer do not find any diagnostic code, no lamp on the dashboard.

3) The worst thing is that, while driving, engine will stop randomly. It happens more often when engine is cooler, but occour also with a warm engine. No diagnostic code or lamp on the dashboard.
Dealer notice that the injector correction vary a lot. So was decided to send injector to be tested, but result perfect.

All the problem come togheter, starting at the same time.

Someone told to my wife (so please be patient) that this problem could come form the fuel filter support, and that this issue is a known problem by Chrysler dealer (but look like my delaer do not know).

Any suggestion will be really appreciated.
Regards

Old 12-16-2010, 03:46 PM

Hi
Your dealer should know and yes your wife maybe right. Remove the plug the filter housing and look to see if it is burnt. Then pump the prime pump and see if you have fuel coming out of the connector.
Other possibles are rail pressure relieve not sealing so not letting pressure build up in the rail, prop valve/ fuel control valve sticking this give you fuel pressure fluctuations, the high pressure pump itself or air getting into the fuel system.
This is if your problem is fuel pressure and I suspect it is from what you are saying.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:28 AM

First of all, many thanks for your suggestions.
I'll spend some time this weekend on the problem. If I could not solve or better define it with your suggestion I'll go to again the delaer on monday, also if i dont trust in him anymore.

Ghosh... if my wife will be right on car engine problems i should take care of dish washing for a month..

Old 12-21-2010, 03:32 AM

Just to give a feedback: the problem was solved replacing fuel filter support.

As conclusion:
- Now my Grand Voyager run smooth also in really cold morning. No more random shutoff.
- my official dealer was really bad (due he told me he doesn't know anything this problem, but look like is a well known problem in Chrysler service network)
- and worst, my wife was right, i hav eno idea where she get this advice and now I have to take care of dish washing for at least a month.

Many Thanks for your support.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:40 AM

Hi Capo.
Can you tell how much it cost you to have this replaced?
I wonder if I have the same problem too?
4 times my voyager has randomly cut out now. Only other issues are cold running and what seems a little lumpy on start up.
My car is in beging checked right now for a thermostat issue too.
thanks,
Phil

Old 12-21-2010, 11:21 PM

Filter support was about 200 euro (vat included), but I spend much more on labor to troubleshoot the problem.