Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 T&C engine shutdown issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Default 2006 T&C engine shutdown issue

This is a breakdown of my experience with a shutdown of my engine in my 2006 Chrysler Town and country 3.8l. It took about two weeks and alot of internet searching.
I will provide the appropriate links to the useful information. Hope this helps someone.

Fault conditions:
1. engine shutdown, showing low oil pressure light
2. Checked and topped off engine oil(1 qt)
3. backed out of driveway and engine shut down again and would not restart
4. jumped vehicle, started hard like weak battery and ran rough for a minute, but cleared up
5. ran fine for the day
6. checked battery with SnapOn battery tester, battery bad, purchased new one, not installed yet
7. engine shutdown again later next day showing oil pressure light and low tire pressure light
8. replaced battery, would not restart
9. checked starting circuit by jumping relay, engine turned over but would not fire
10.check relays and fuses all checked out good, ignition circuit is working correctly, can force relay to operate by grounding the relay externally and turning the ignition to start
11.check ASD(auto shutdown relay) appears to be operating correctly
12.purchased Craftsman CANODB11 scan tool, could not connect to computer
13.tested Craftsman scanner on another similar year Chrysler, worked
14.checked power to PCM(located in front of left steer tire behind the splash shield), has ignition power but no battery power at connector C1 pin 28
15.trace wiring(stripping tape), it was an orange/red band wire to the fuse panel in engine compartment next to battery
16.found a corroded short in wire, repaired wire, vehicle is working good at this time with no codes

Here is the most useful link I found:
I need a engine compartment wiring diagram showing sensor power, ground and signal circuit - JustAnswer