Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

chrysler grand voyager won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 04:29 AM
Unhappy chrysler grand voyager won't start

Hi guys,
I have recently had some work done on my 51 plate grand voyager crd 2.5. following an electrical problem a wire was burned and replaced. the auto electrician has finished all of the repair and now the car won't start. it turns over, although the compression seems low but it seems that the high pressure pump is not working. The cam belt is ok. I wondered if there is a fuel stop relay that maybe broken.

any ideas would be welcome

ruki

Old 06-10-2009, 01:21 PM

Hi
No there is not fuel stop relay. Is there any fault codes? What was the wire repair? Was it running ok before this repair? Lift pump by the tank is a possible or fuel control solinoid or injectors not holding pressure, Infact there are a lot of possibles need more info. Does your elctrician have a code reader that will read fuel pressure? so you will know it's a fuel pressure issue?

Old 06-12-2009, 06:09 AM
Default 2.5 CRD Hard to cold start

I have had a similar problem with my 2002 Voyager 2.5 CRD, the service agent has recommended replacing both the fuel rail and the injectors as he claims that they are not holding pressure.

The engine starts even after standing for a couple of hours but once left to stand overnight has to crank for several minutes before starting.

If it is the fuel rail, are the regulator and or seals not replaceable?

He has quoted +/- $5000 for this work.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Old 06-12-2009, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Merlin
Hi
No there is not fuel stop relay. Is there any fault codes? What was the wire repair? Was it running ok before this repair? Lift pump by the tank is a possible or fuel control solinoid or injectors not holding pressure, Infact there are a lot of possibles need more info. Does your elctrician have a code reader that will read fuel pressure? so you will know it's a fuel pressure issue?
I have had a similar problem with my 2002 Voyager 2.5 CRD, the service agent has recommended replacing both the fuel rail and the injectors as he claims that they are not holding pressure.

The engine starts even after standing for a couple of hours but once left to stand overnight has to crank for several minutes before starting.

If it is the fuel rail, are the regulator and or seals not replaceable?

He has quoted +/- $5000 for this work.

Do you have any suggestions?

Old 06-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Unhappy update

Guys,

todays work

tried the fault code - P1130 (low fuel rail pressure)

cracked open one of the pipes between the injector and the rail- low pressure evident. from a crd it should JET out all over.

took off the cambelt cover (now thats a good game!!) the belt is fine, the pump cog is being turned round.

there is diesel at the pump, the pick up pump is fine and when i check the bleed valve with the ignition on plenty of diesel comes out.

the wiring fault was where a main feed and another cable ran through ithe inner wing between the nearside wheel arch and the engine compartment. every time that the brake pedal was pressed the current earthed from the main feed. along the brake wiring and it burned the wire between there and the pedal, all repaired now.

i think it is the high pressure pump,

merlin, what do you think?

ruki

Old 06-12-2009, 04:55 PM

Hi
1130 is rail pressure malfunction. first test is an injector leak back test. That is a test where you check how much fuel is retuning out of the top of the injector. We have pots we put on top of the injectors but you can make something up yourself. Should be no more then 25mm per injector over one minute. any more then that will give you this fault code or stop it from starting if it's very bad.
Tony suggest you start with the same test. Never going to need all that at the same time.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:58 PM

NOTE: never crack open the main pipes can be as high a 4000 PSI in there when running

Old 06-13-2009, 12:47 AM

Thanks Merlin,

If there is excesive leak from the injector, is it necessary to replace all 4?
If there is not a leak from the injector, how do we check the pressure in the fuel rail?

Tony

Old 06-13-2009, 01:26 AM
Default under pressure

Originally Posted by Merlin
NOTE: never crack open the main pipes can be as high a 4000 PSI in there when running
Merlin,
Thanks for this. There was no where near this sort of pressure. there was less than even an old diesel pump and injector system. this was on cranking. this is why i think the pump maybe un servicable.

any thoughts?

Ruki

Old 06-13-2009, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tony Flude
Thanks Merlin,

If there is excesive leak from the injector, is it necessary to replace all 4?
If there is not a leak from the injector, how do we check the pressure in the fuel rail?

Tony
Hi
No you only replace the injector with the high leak off.

Quick Reply: chrysler grand voyager won't start