Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrysler GVs and Mercedes connection

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 10:25 AM
Default Chrysler GVs and Mercedes connection

I have been thinking, since Chrysler was owned by Mercedes for a while, why is it that Mercedes diagnostics like STAR doesnt work on them. Also during this period did any Chrysler cars have Merc engines? If not why not?

Also why did Mercedes pull out of the deal? Surely Chrysler being big in the USA would have been sufficient to satisfy a good return on the investment

Old 03-23-2016, 03:11 PM

Thought you were going to mention about the Voyagers for sale With Mercedes Engines. Think they are in Fleebay, I take it one seller has just got his info from the other. Ages about 2005/6/7...Noticed adds last year as to Merc engined Voyagers. Where did this come from.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:45 PM

International companies don't and never have bought competitors. They buy their market share and in this case at that time they had no market share anywhere in the world even America.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:38 PM

The only models that spring to mind are the PT Cruiser and the Crossfire. The PT used a Merc diesel engine and the Crossfire was basically a re-bodied SLK 320 but my understanding is that Chrysler use their own ECU/ECM's therefore Merc Diag doesn't work.

However why they didn't use more Mercedes engines was probably down to development cost. Chrysler's primary market is the US and they had a much wider range of engines already certified for the US market, therefore there was little to be gained in switching to a Mercedes engine.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:04 PM

From what I have read recently while shopping for a second hand Merc' they can have big quality/reliability issues. This just one of the poor reviews I read:

Mercedes-Benz CLS (Review date: 28th February '16)
Further to my previous review , another service and MOT. Several items including 3 brake pipes had to be replaced due to rust so add this to the numerous other parts which had to be replaced. Money spent is now £9000 in 7 years and this does not include consumable items such as tyres. Main dealer and Mercedes UK do not want to know.They couldn't care less about the private buyer.I suggest you don't consider a Mercedes unless you have very deep pockets and are willing to spend,spend,spend a la "Viv Nicolson",the infamous pools winner.

Certainly enough to put me off buying one.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by AlanC
From what I have read recently while shopping for a second hand Merc' they can have big quality/reliability issues. This just one of the poor reviews I read:

Mercedes-Benz CLS (Review date: 28th February '16)
Further to my previous review , another service and MOT. Several items including 3 brake pipes had to be replaced due to rust so add this to the numerous other parts which had to be replaced. Money spent is now £9000 in 7 years and this does not include consumable items such as tyres. Main dealer and Mercedes UK do not want to know.They couldn't care less about the private buyer.I suggest you don't consider a Mercedes unless you have very deep pockets and are willing to spend,spend,spend a la "Viv Nicolson",the infamous pools winner.

Certainly enough to put me off buying one.

Oh I do not find this at all surprising. I went from an XJR to a C55 AMG and regretted every moment of that decision! On paper it was a good buy; one retired owner, full Merc service history and a catalogue of receipts.

I owned it for 18 months and it was constant, just one thing after another and given the amount of money the original owner had lavished on it, there should have been no issues for years!

Eventually bought my Grand Voyager as a cheap run-about during yet another breakdown and sold the Merc shortly afterwards taking a huge hit.

In comparison, I paid £700 for my GV, and in just over 3 years have invested about £350 to £400 in repairs. Its been all over the UK, driven down to the South of France, and even had a thrashing down the German Autobahn.