Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate Control Left Right problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Default Climate Control Left Right problem

Hello I have a T&C 2001 Lxi with dual climate control and i am experiencing a problem which manifest itself by blowing hot airat the driver side when having cold air blown on the passenger side, yet the controls set to A/C on and at coldest temp. Anyone would have an idea on a simple resolution?

Thanks,

Old 04-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Climate Control Left Right problem

I would say the condensor is leaking U have low freon in there I would say about 1.3 lbs and require a 2.56 lbs in there.
Take a look at the condensor pass side vary far corner I bet its wet and oil looking.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Default RE: Climate Control Left Right problem

Chrysler Tech is spot on!

For some reason, the design of the evaporator or the ducting or whatever, I haven't really delved into it. A less than full chargealmost always initially manifests itself by a lack of cold air at theextreme left hand diffuser. As the refrigerant continues to be lost you will nextnotice a lack ofcold air at the left center console diffuser, then the middle one, right hand center and then finally the passenger side.

Funny thing is, just this evening Ifinished replacing the condenser on the 2003 T&C that my son drives. (Again TC is uncanny -it failed at the lower right hand corner).

I evacuated to 29.98, it held all afternoon. Added 5 oz of PAG oil and thencharged the sysytem old school. Sucked in two 12oz. cans of 134a (SUVA) and slowly added from the third until everything was cycling as designed and cabin temp was nice and chilly.

I did not want to overcharge the system, so I called him down to garage, had him sign off that the repair was done to his satisfaction and told him to keep checking the vent in front of his left hand. Since it is a cool night in NH this evening it might be that the system appears fully charged but may still reqiure another ounce or so. Told him that it is supposed to be in the mid 70's tomorrow and to let me know if that vent warms up.

It is not really the correct way to diagnose, but try adding just an ounce or two of 134a and as CT says I bet you find you are low on refrigerant.

Don't over charge the system, just a 5 or 10 second shot at a time until the left hand vent runs cool. Then stop, disconnect your hose, shut the hoodand walk away. Drive the vanuntil the problem returns. Could be weeks or even months. Resist the temptation to add more than required to cool the far left side - you won't get any cooler past a certain point

In refrigerationtoo much isoften more harmful(and always more expensive) than too little.

If the problem returns quickly you will have identify where the loss of refrigerant is occuring. But that is more involved and we can get to that later - but it'll cost ya!

Just kidding we'll figure it out , good luck.

Jerry

BTW - the new condenser was only $150. If it turns out that the condenser is indeed the culprit it is an easy R&R (about 3 hours). Then take it to a service station and have it evacuated, add 5oz of oil and charge it - maybe $100 more. Less than $300 and you are good to go!