Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 06:02 AM
Default Cold Starting Problems

Hi all,
I am new on here and would like some advice on a problem i am having with my 2002 2.5CRD Chrysler Voyager (122,000 miles on the ODO).
As the temperature has started to fall, my car fails to start first time, initially after the second attempt, the battery would go flat and the car would need jump starting. I took the car to Chrysler for a battery test - they said it was fine and i should trickle charge the battery (As the car dominantly only completes short journeys) The fault repeated, i changed the battery for a new (higher cold cranking amps) Bosch unit. The fault persisted, but with the new battery it would start after 3 attempts. (Attempt 1 - no start. Attempt 2 - try to start, stop, then blow grey smoke out. Attempt 3 - start - with a belch of black smoke) I again, took the car to chrysler, who diagnosed "loose" diesel injectors. They stripped them out, cleaned them up and refitted them. Still has a similar failure mode to that described, car back to Chrysler, who then advised me that the number 1 injector was weeping diesel - Same replaced - No joy!
FYI the car has had a new ignition barrel also. I am at my wits end!

Old 11-23-2008, 08:48 AM
Default RE: Cold Starting Problems

Hi
Has the fault only developed since the temperature drop? If so has the glow plugs been checked? The relay is on the front panel so connections corroded very easily. (You will see 3 relays in front of the battery, 2 are for the cooling fins 1 for glow plugs). If it has always had intermittent poor starting then listen for the lift pump by the tank to run when you just turn on the ignition (not starting) make sure its not sounding ruff.
Injectors and prop valve (control solenoid in the high pressure pump) are also and issue but not so much on the 2.5 CRD as they have a lift pump more common on the 2.8 CRD as they rely on the main high pressure pump to pull the fuel from the tank. The dealer “should” have been looking at the fuel pressure actual compared to set point when it’s not starting as if it’s not getting up over 1000 psi it wouldn’t start injection. Injectors are a very expensive guess and you normaly also get running problems as well such as eractic idle and stalling issues when they play up as the engine control module struggles to maintain correct fuel pressure in the rail (again back to the dealer should have been looking at pressure set point compaired to actual).

Old 11-23-2008, 08:56 AM

Cheers for the reply Merlin,
Ihave owned the car sinceMay of this year, the poor starting has onlybeen an issue since the colder weather has come around (Even though its only been getting down to around freezing at worst) I have spent around ÂŁ540 at Chrysler so far on the problem plus ÂŁ85 on a new battery, so im pretty annoyed. A couple of guys at work have asked me about the glow plugs, maybeI should check them. Are they easy to check - Although i dont have a workshop, i think im pretty handy at stuff like that!

Thanks again

Old 11-23-2008, 09:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Merlin

Hi
Has the fault only developed since the temperature drop? If so has the glow plugs been checked? The relay is on the front panel so connections corroded very easily. (You will see 3 relays in front of the battery, 2 are for the cooling fins 1 for glow plugs). If it has always had intermittent poor starting then listen for the lift pump by the tank to run when you just turn on the ignition (not starting) make sure its not sounding ruff.
Injectors and prop valve (control solenoid in the high pressure pump) are also and issue but not so much on the 2.5 CRD as they have a lift pump more common on the 2.8 CRD as they rely on the main high pressure pump to pull the fuel from the tank. The dealer “should” have been looking at the fuel pressure actual compared to set point when it’s not starting as if it’s not getting up over 1000 psi it wouldn’t start injection. Injectors are a very expensive guess and you normaly also get running problems as well such as eractic idle and stalling issues when they play up as the engine control module struggles to maintain correct fuel pressure in the rail (again back to the dealer should have been looking at pressure set point compaired to actual).
Just a quick question Merlin, Ive been out to have alook at the three relays (There are three relays with black covers and red locking tabs, just in front and to the left of the battery, near to the dip stick) Do you know whick one is for the glow plugs - the one on the far right seems to have the largest cables coming out. Additionally there is a forth relay, just in front and to the left of the fuse box - Is this related in anyway - Its Silver in colour with no tab at all.

Thanks in advance

Old 11-23-2008, 10:14 AM

Expected you had spent a lot, Sorry not all dealers know how to check these properly. Can’t remember off the top of my head what one is the glow plug relay will need to check but away on a Chrysler training so can’t check till Thursday as even the service manual is not that good on the CRD. Are they clicking when the ignition is turned on then clicks off after 10 seconds or so? As this will tell you what relay it is (IF it’s working) then check the plug on that relay for corrosion.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:56 PM

sjt

cold start like you described can have only one cause, not enough temperature in the engine.
and the usual cause for that are the glow plugs. they don't emit enough heat to the intake air, hence low temperature, hence white/gray smoke after 2nd attepmt.

merlin described how to check relay, couse it can work, but that does not mean that glow plugs are working.

so, after 7 years, I would check that the glow plugs are getting power. if they do, all 4 plugs should be changed.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:54 AM

Thanks for all the advice, ill let you know the outcome.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:03 PM

hi, pls keep me informed of what you find, as i also have a 2002 2.5crd and for the last 2 weeks has been a problem starting it on the cold mornings [:@] seems exactly the same as what you describe !!
a friend suggested glow plugs, i need to know which ones to get, as there are different ones listed on ebay etc, or anyone advise me on where to get them from ? and which ones ?

Old 11-24-2008, 02:32 PM

Hi
Glow plugs don't fail often on these (I have never fitted any) So you should check for power even if one of you do have bad plugs.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:36 PM

hi merlin, thx for your reply mate,
can you tell me how to check if theres power to the plugs ? do i need a multimeter ? thx

Quick Reply: Cold Starting Problems