Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Default RE: Cold Starting Problems

hi again guys,
i tested for voltage to the plugs today, and that is all ok, so my next step is to order some new (decent) glow plugs, and to be honest i think my battery could do with replacing too, as the previous owner never had one in the 3 yrs he owned the car, (and i just think it aint really man enough for a good turnover when its cold with poss glow plug probs too) it only turns the car over for about 15 to 20 seconds before dying out.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:03 AM

then try starting the car with jumper cables.
if it starts, then you have to change the battery.
your engine needs certain revolutions (think above 300) for PCM to start injecting fuel into it. if you don't have it (week battery) you won't start the car.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:52 AM

yeah i have jump leads, and on the cold mornings when it wont start under its own battery i have been using them, its starts no problem with leads. ordered a new batt this morning.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:10 AM

new battery on and really cold morning yesterday (-1) and it started but after turning over for approx 20 seconds, so batt now powerfull enough, but prob still needs glow plugs as on a normal morning it will start pretty much straight away !
i have ordered a new set of decent plugs which are on their way

Old 12-17-2008, 04:14 AM

Hi guys,
sorry it has taken me a while ot get back to you! Anyhow here goes.

The bosch center got as far as they could, the EGR valve was ok. (as other contributers had suggested) They then said the only fault in the ecm was a crank case timing sensor fault. Alas, they wanted to strip the timing belt out and ensure all the timing was ok (costs approx £270). I was not a happy bunny, i took the car back to the place who changed the timing belt and tensioners, they ensured me the engine would run really rough all of the time and starting would be an issue at all times if the timing was out. (this seemed to make a little sense, as the car did run really well after the initial start of the day). The fuel filter was changed and the glow plugs where tested (OK). I decided to forget about the car for a couple of weeks. I started to look into it again yesterday, and i had a sneaking suspicision the injectors could still be faulty even though thechrysler stealership had removed them, cleaned them and replaced injector 1 at a cost of £550.
I spill checked the injectors, injector 2 was returning more fuel then the others, i removed the injectors, injector 2 had some blow back damage, needless to say i am taking them to a diesel test shop for a good looking at - cost £15 per injector - fingers crossed. ill let you know - ps reconditioning has been estimated at £95

Old 12-23-2008, 03:00 AM

Refurbed injectors are in.................car starts a dream.....................only trouble is, its 9 degrees outside now!!!!! I reserve judgement!

Old 12-28-2008, 11:26 AM

The car is starting first time, but i need to press the accelarator alot more than i feel i should and it takes 5 - 10 secs for it to start. Is this normal? Am i just being paranoid now?!

Old 12-28-2008, 06:35 PM

Hi
You should not need to press the accelarator at all

Old 01-02-2009, 02:17 PM

Hi all!

Just joined this great forum. 1st of all, thanks Merlin for your efforts.

I have a Chrysler GV 2.5 TD VM that does not start at cold weather, under 5 degrees celcius. The start motor runs but no fire. I have tried to warm the motor by the installed heater but no luck. On warmer weather it fires straight up.
Already fiddled around with it and found out that there's no power to the glow plugs. The 2 glow plugs I took out seemed to work fine when power was applied. Havent replaced any of the the relays yet, but they seemed alright to me, I did shortcut the fuel warming relay and that didnt work either. There are 2 relevant relays on my model, the diesel PCM relay and the fuel warming relay.

- Which one of these relays is critical to my case? They are alike. Tried to swich positions.
- How to test if the fuse box is receiving power to the relay? The relays have like 5 pins on them.
- What to do next?
- Is it possible to start the car without the glow plugs on warmer weather, cause I find it ocward it does start nicely on warmer days.

Thanks guys.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:18 PM

Hi
forget the relays in the PDC (fuse box as you call it) look at the relays on the front panel.

Quick Reply: Cold Starting Problems