Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Default RE: Cold Starting Problems

hi
a bulb would do it oranything to read voltage (test lamp or volt meter) number 2 plug is easy to get to (just behind the power steering bottle). unplug the glow plug and when the ignition is turn on you should get 12 volts on that wire for about 5 seconds (on a cold engine).

Old 11-25-2008, 01:16 PM

hi merlin
ok so assuming there is voltage to the plugs, then it means i need new plugs ?
and if there isnt voltage to the plugs, then ?? relay ? or what ?
thanks mate
multimeter on its way

Old 11-26-2008, 03:58 PM

Hi
No voltage then you look at the relay for no power/ corossion at the relay, relay operation. if you have power thern possible glow plugs will need to be replace. if you have no power and the relay looks good and is clicking post back and i'll talk you though testing.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:50 AM

Hi all,
Ive just had a call from the repair shop (Bosch service center, rather than main dealer), it seems they think the problem lies with the exhaust gas sensor (Sounded like that anyhow!), or the crank case timing sensor. They have done a temp repair on the exhaust sensor, we are now waiting to see if, when cold, the problem is solved, if so the sensor will be replaced. If not they will look to the timing sensor. Incidentally i did have the timing belt and tensioners changed about 5 weeks ago!

Steve

Old 11-28-2008, 07:25 AM

Interesting, but when runnig you have no running problems? No engine light on? So you have no fault codes? best of luck but not sure they have found your fault. It is a bosch system on your vehicle so they should know what they are doing.
Eddit: as to the timing sensor this is at the other end (bell housing) not next to the belt so would be unrelated unless they have the timing belt not correcting install.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:32 AM

They did a diagnostic check and found the car had two active fault codes - Crank case timing sensor and exhaust gas sensor. Ive got my fingers crossed !

Old 11-28-2008, 07:34 AM

Incidentally, I told the Bosch centerabout the belt being changed about 5 weeks ago. That fault may be a red herring! I may have to pay the garage who did the belt a visit!

Old 11-28-2008, 10:53 AM

Ive just had a call from the BOSCH center who have told me things are inconclusive. They checked the Exhaust Gas Return (EGR)sensor, which the diagnostics pointed towards, they said the components where particuarly soiled, (i.e. the 1" pipe was down to a bore of about 3/8" due to being clogged up) The guy said when this pipe was blocked completely, the car seemed to start better (I dont really understand how this component operates and interacts with the starting circuit, additionally, due to the nature of the fault you only get one chance for diagnostics etc time you cold start!)
He said he had also cleared the fault codes from the engine and none of them had reoccured during his latest testing. I will pick the car up in the morning, so it will be nice and cold! He is concerned that the guys who did the cambelt have got the timing slightly wrong, as he said the two read switches where not in sinc with each other. (crank case and bottom end).
The Bosch center has been pretty good, the costs so far have been £45. (For Diagnostics). They have told me i dont need to pay anything until the problem is sorted. (for all you doubters out there, the £45 is a standard fee, the quicker they find it the better for them, i.e if they spend 5 hours on it i still pay £45!!)

Ill keep you posted

Steve

Old 11-28-2008, 12:54 PM

I tried to help, but this is getting better and better.

really, I'm interested about the outcome. that would be the first time I hear that EGR or crank sensor would be responsible for such a behaviour.
usually, EGR is shut down until the engine warms up, and crank sensor would fail when warmed up, not when it's cold.

whatever comes, please keep me posted, couse that's good school for me.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:53 PM

agreed I still feel this is a fuel or glow plug issue

Quick Reply: Cold Starting Problems