Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Coolant in Oil tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 10:32 PM
Default Coolant in Oil tank

Last night my husband was checking coolant level, since we noticed a leak after a coolant flush. They said to keep an eye on it, however no leak prior to flush. Anyway, hubby filled coolant container, then went to check oil. As he checked oil dip stick there nothing was on it. Last oil change less 1500 miles ago. Coolant was in oil a slight greenish/yellowish color at top. No dark sludge. Oil mixed in. What would cause this?
I am disabled and my husband doesn't drive, we need all the help we can get. Thanks!

Old 05-17-2014, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

ok lets brake this down.
1 "then went to check oil. As he checked oil dip stick there nothing was on it" As in no oil on the dip stick or not coolant on the dip stick.?
2 "Coolant was in oil a slight greenish/yellowish color at top" Where did u see this at?

Old 05-18-2014, 03:08 PM

Scrambling my Old Brain...

Old 05-18-2014, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
ok lets brake this down.
1 "then went to check oil. As he checked oil dip stick there nothing was on it" As in no oil on the dip stick or not coolant on the dip stick.?
2 "Coolant was in oil a slight greenish/yellowish color at top" Where did u see this at?
The dip stick had neither oil or coolant. And the greenish/ yellowish color we found after taking off cap where you put the oil into.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

more then likely wat u saw was condensation on the cap from where it collects. Its common when a PCV is stuck.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:47 PM

So if it is the PCV - my hubby is wondering how coolant got in oil tank. Can we just drain that with oil change check/change tubing and replace PCV?

Old 05-21-2014, 06:51 AM

CK,

I think what CT is saying is that the moisture you found under the oil fill cap is NOT coolant, but condensation perhaps caused by a non-functioning PCV valve, or perfectly normal (my 2 cents). Additives in the oil could be the source of the color he sees (also my 2 cents).

Top off the oil, fire it up and let it run for just a couple of minutes, and then recheck the dipstick. If, in fact, there is some water-based fluid in the oil pan, you will find a creamy blend on the dipstick. If it is just oil, no problem exists.

The reason the shop said to watch the coolant level is because of trapped air in the cooling system. Those bubbles will work themselves out and lower the overflow tank level.

I'm going to guess that your van rarely sees more than 2-5 miles at a time. This type driving is very hard on vehicles because they never really get hot enough to purge any moisture trapped in the block. Perhaps a road trip is in order?

Bob
Liberty MO