Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Crazy Electrical Issues

  #1  
Old 05-06-2019, 09:19 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 8
Default Crazy Electrical Issues

Hey guys, I just bought a 2014 T&C with 23,000 miles on it. The van is in great shape, clearly well cared for.

We started noticing some weird electrical issues almost immediately - wipers turning on, AC cutting out for a second, small stuff - then the whole dash went nuts with all the gauges and lights, wipers and AC cutting in and out at once.

From what I've read, this sounds very much like a bad TIPM. Is there a way to be sure? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 
  #2  
Old 05-06-2019, 05:33 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 275
Default

Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to reset the computer and see if that helps.
Let us know if it works for you.
 
  #3  
Old 05-07-2019, 11:47 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Auburn Hills, MI
Posts: 569
Default

Originally Posted by CinSC View Post
Hey guys, I just bought a 2014 T&C with 23,000 miles on it. The van is in great shape, clearly well cared for.

We started noticing some weird electrical issues almost immediately - wipers turning on, AC cutting out for a second, small stuff - then the whole dash went nuts with all the gauges and lights, wipers and AC cutting in and out at once.

From what I've read, this sounds very much like a bad TIPM. Is there a way to be sure? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi CinSC,
We understand why this may be concerning. We suggest having your dealer inspect this concern if you have not done so already. We are also available via private message if you would like any additional assistance during that process.
Lydia
Chrysler Social Care Specialist
 
  #4  
Old 05-07-2019, 09:45 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by BiliTheAxe View Post
Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to reset the computer and see if that helps.
Let us know if it works for you.
Thanks. I was concerned after reading some of the issues resulting from bad TIPMs, so I disconnected the batter overnight. The problem recurred on the way to the dealer. Sustained right turns trigger it. ??

Anyway, the electrical guru at the Chrysler dealer is narrowing the problem down to the radio - maybe.
 
  #5  
Old 05-13-2019, 05:23 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 4
Default

The problem may be due to ac relay in the fuse box under cover at the driver side
 
  #6  
Old 05-14-2019, 06:03 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by CinSC View Post
Thanks. I was concerned after reading some of the issues resulting from bad TIPMs, so I disconnected the batter overnight. The problem recurred on the way to the dealer. Sustained right turns trigger it. ??

Anyway, the electrical guru at the Chrysler dealer is narrowing the problem down to the radio - maybe.
I disconnected radio to me still has problems. Have you solved with your car?
 
  #7  
Old 05-15-2019, 09:06 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3
Default

Originally Posted by Maurizio View Post
I disconnected radio to me still has problems. Have you solved with your car?
I had a "No Bus" electrical problem that led the dealer to replace the radio, which didn't fix the error. If you are getting a ground fault somewhere it will take a dozen modules offline and record all those in the computer and there is no way of knowing what is causing the issue. The dealer will only tell you that they can narrow it down while it is doing the error, which can be impossible if you don't know what is causing it. In my case, it only happened when my wife was driving the van. Took me weeks and weeks to figure out what was causing it. My wife is very short and drives with the seat far forward. Over the course of 2.5 years the unprotected wiring harness under the seat was wearing against the seat bracket, which only happened in her seat position, not mine. I taped up the wires and the problem went away. Long story short, it could be any wire, anywhere causing an issue. You have to use your sleuthing skills to figure it out. I thought all hope was lost because the dealer couldn't find it and it went out of warranty during that time.
 
  #8  
Old 05-15-2019, 11:07 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
Default

wow i'm glad for you i'm looking for this cable for a year. This chrysler is full of cables and control units.
 
  #9  
Old 05-20-2019, 04:23 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by flyingpostman View Post
I had a "No Bus" electrical problem that led the dealer to replace the radio, which didn't fix the error. If you are getting a ground fault somewhere it will take a dozen modules offline and record all those in the computer and there is no way of knowing what is causing the issue. The dealer will only tell you that they can narrow it down while it is doing the error, which can be impossible if you don't know what is causing it. In my case, it only happened when my wife was driving the van. Took me weeks and weeks to figure out what was causing it. My wife is very short and drives with the seat far forward. Over the course of 2.5 years the unprotected wiring harness under the seat was wearing against the seat bracket, which only happened in her seat position, not mine. I taped up the wires and the problem went away. Long story short, it could be any wire, anywhere causing an issue. You have to use your sleuthing skills to figure it out. I thought all hope was lost because the dealer couldn't find it and it went out of warranty during that time.
Well, the dealer replaced the radio and some of the problems are resolved. So the hunt continues.

The "seat forward" issue you had is interesting. My van schitzes out when we make a sustained right turn - like on an on ramp.

Whatever the case, I'm not sure we want to keep this thing. How often are these weird issues sorted out for good?
 
  #10  
Old 05-20-2019, 07:17 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3
Default

Originally Posted by CinSC View Post
Well, the dealer replaced the radio and some of the problems are resolved. So the hunt continues.

The "seat forward" issue you had is interesting. My van schitzes out when we make a sustained right turn - like on an on ramp.

Whatever the case, I'm not sure we want to keep this thing. How often are these weird issues sorted out for good?
It wouldn’t take much time to check out the wiring harness under the seat. Also, check out the wiring on second row of seats if they have heated seats (mine does). While the van is idling in the driveway start moving things, pushing on seats, wiggling door harnesses and so on. Much cheaper than trading it in a losing all that value. It’s probably something really stupidly simple.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crazy Electrical Issues


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.