Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CRD injector cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 06:55 PM
Default CRD injector cleaner

Hmm. well.. The search engine does not seem to work very well on this forum, so maybe this has been asked before, but here I go.

Old Mercedes diesels often benefit pretty good from using injector cleaner fluids in the diesel, so I wanted to use a flask in my CRD 2.5. But I always check the interweb first and I encountered several posts about injector cleaners not working good on CRD engines, only ultrasonic cleaning seems te work on common rail diesels.
My engine runs pretty well so I only wanted to try it to see if it could run even better but what is wisdom in this CRD case?
Wynns injector cleaner is a nogo on CRD?

Old 07-01-2014, 03:51 AM

Injector cleaner:--
It's also my experience that pouring injector cleaner into the tank doesn't work, this being with a variety of different diesels.

Mechanics use only one brand, Forte', a South African chemical Co.
They always pour some in the fuel filter, rather than the tank.
You can get it for between £12 and £15 for a small-ish can.

You could also use BP "Ultimate" diesel and Shell "V-power", both having cleaner in them, for which naturally you pay more. A good while before my MOT, I used the "Ultimate" for about 3 months. It went throught the MOT re. emissions ok. But I can't prove that the success was the cleaner.
An idea might be to run the tank very low, and then pour all the Forte' into it. This naturally has dangers of stirring up rubbish that may be living in the bottom of the tank.

One point about ultrasonic cleaning: How do the acoustic waves get up the pintle when it's closed? This is going to be where the crud lies, i.e. close to the hot combustion.

Hope this helps.

Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 07-01-2014 at 03:55 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:44 PM

There is a very good cleaner called BG244 that you can buy from powerenhancer on the web. The Archoil 6200 is good to. I noticed a big difference using low ash 2 stroke oil in the fuel! Quieter engine and a lot less smoke. I always run the GV on Shell V-Power derv as it has twice the additive package of normal Dino fuel as it's a GTL semi synthetic fuel... I should be able to find some discount codes somewhere.

2 stroke low ash oil is £2 for a 500ml bottle at morrisons! Cheapest I've found.

Last edited by TimmyTim; 07-07-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:15 AM

Hi tim. How much 2 stroke oil do you put in a full tank?
Thx

Old 07-08-2014, 02:28 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Oxford
Hi tim. How much 2 stroke oil do you put in a full tank?
Thx
With it being so cheap I just pour thd whole bottle in when I fill up with around £120 worth of V-Power. But all you need is 300ml. 2 stroke low ash oil burns cleaner than normal diesel. Results are fantastic as it lubes the fuel pump with these low sulphur fuels...

Old 07-08-2014, 04:26 AM

Just remember to use the low ash cheap mineral 2T oil and not the semi or full synthetic stuff! You will be suprised the difference the engine note is! Much less diesel chatter at idle. In fact one guy came up to in the fuel station and asked what I was putting in my fuel tank! So told him about it and he went straight in an bought a bottle.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:39 AM

Using 2 Stroke oil in Diesel Fuel...Interesting...At £2 there's no loss I suppose...But is it an Injector Cleaner and would it fail MOT with it in Fuel.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:44 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by goggs
Using 2 Stroke oil in Diesel Fuel...Interesting...At £2 there's no loss I suppose...But is it an Injector Cleaner and would it fail MOT with it in Fuel.
Yes it does have cleaning additives in it as well as lube. It will not fail an MOT with it in at all! In fact it will help a lot. When I took the car in for ours the tester remarked on how low the emissions were! He'd never seen a GV with such a good result!

Old 07-08-2014, 04:48 AM

Google 2T oil in diesel fuel! Loads of threads about it on loads of forums like Merc/Bmw/Toyota ect...

Old 07-08-2014, 05:15 AM

AT the other hand I read this from Adding 2 Stroke Oil to Diesel :

There are a lot of arguments, mostly on motoring forums, about whether or not to add 2 stroke oil to diesel powered vehicles. The main argument is that this will improve the lubricity of the fuel, particularly low sulphur (50ppm) diesel.
Sulphur occurs naturally in oil. It is undesirable for various reasons. The main reason is that the sulphur from the exhaust pipe forms sulphuric acid in the atmosphere which results in acid rain. In the vehicle it pollutes the engine oil reducing its life. Using a low sulphur diesel reduces both the environmental pollution and the pollution of engine oil. In order to produce low sulphur diesel, the sulphur has to be removed and the process that removes the sulphur reduces the lubricity of the diesel. Diesel pumps and injectors rely on this to keep them lubricated.
Should I add 2 Stroke Oil to my diesel to improve its lubricity?
In short, you shouldn't. 2 Stroke Oil is designed for 2 stroke motorcycle engines, not 4 stroke vehicles. Vehicle manufacturers and fuel refining companies all agree that running 2 Stroke Oil in fuel is likely to cause complications and there have been reports of engine failures due to 2 Stroke Oil sludging up valves and injectors. As fuel refineries have produced lower sulphur diesel, so too have they added lubrication substitutes to the new diesels to the point that lubrication is now even higher than that of high sulphur diesel.
The vehicle manufacturers don't recommend putting 2 Stroke Oil in your diesel, the fuel companies don't recommend putting 2 Stroke Oil in your diesel, and the 2 Stroke Oil manufacturers don't recommend putting 2 Stroke Oil in your diesel, so why would you put 2 Stroke Oil in your diesel?
Better lubricity, cleaner burning fuel, cleaner oil and cleaner air means there is no reason for any vehicle to run 500ppm diesel instead of 50ppm, nor to add 2 Stroke Oil to aid in lubrication.

Quick Reply: CRD injector cleaner