Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

CruiseC/HORN/AIRBAG LIGHT. PROBLEM SOLVED/FIXED DIY Clock Spring

Old 07-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Thumbs up CruiseC/HORN/AIRBAG LIGHT. PROBLEM SOLVED/FIXED DIY Clock Spring

-
-
-
Hello fellow members,

I have an older post regarding my Chrysler T&C recently with airbag light, non-functional Cruise control, and non-functional horn. Well guess what, no worries--no trips to the dealers. This is a very common problem unfortunately for Dodge, Voyager, and Chrysler model vans where the clock spring is the culprit. I'll tell you, it is also unsafe driving without a horn. People jaywalking or reckless drivers can't hear you coming.

Here is the solution:

I found a brand new clock spring from a seller from eBay
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/ECarOnline__W0QQ_armrsZ1

For an 2001 clock spring, it was $29.99 plus shipping. Not bad huh?

Wait it gets even better. They have a full detailed video instruction. Yes, visuals so for folks like me, who just drive cars and not fix them can do-it-yourself.

Check there homepage.

https://www.partshighway.com/pages.php?pageid=8

And to the bottom right, click "information sheets"

There you have it, watch the video and change your broken clock spring in about 30mins.

Now you can honk whenever you want and annoy the h*ll of the neighbors.

P.S. check your local AutoZone to rent a Universal Steering Wheel Puller for free from their Loan-A-Tool Program.

Happy Honking

-
-
-

Old 07-27-2009, 09:35 PM

I don't know about the 2001 model but don't bother if you have a 1998 to 2000 caravan or T&C. Chrysler has a lifetime free replacement on them. I just had mine done and was in and out of the dealer in about 25 minutes, no charge.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by hotan80min
I don't know about the 2001 model but don't bother if you have a 1998 to 2000 caravan or T&C. Chrysler has a lifetime free replacement on them. I just had mine done and was in and out of the dealer in about 25 minutes, no charge.
No, the warranty does not apply to the 2001. The stealership would have charged over $200 for this service.

Anyway, its nice to get down-and-dirty to fix it yourself and know how your cars work.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:09 AM

Just had the same problem on our 196,000 mile '97 Voyager after having the rack changed. Checked on the Chrysler website and ours had never had the recall done, phoned the dealer and they have ordered a new clockspring in and will fit it on Tuesday..........let's see what happens....

Old 08-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Default Pay for repair?

So let me get this right. I have to pay $30 plus shipping and fix myself or pay my local dealership in Avon, Indiana almost $300 to repair a part on my 01 sebring that chrysler knows is defective???

Old 08-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

there is no known defective clock spring on an 01 sebring look at the posts b4 u speak up 96 - 00 MINIVANS have a recall the one he did on here is a 01 to 05 MINIVAN no recall he posted the info on here to show others what he did.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:13 PM

I'm sure we're splitting hairs here, the clock spring is probably not "defective" nor was the installation of the clock spring. The point I am trying to make is that there is a great deal of knowlege of this part or assembly needing repair on many Chrysler automobiles and yet the manufacturer is not correcting this problem. That doesn't seem quite fair does it? I own 3 Chrysler products, 01 Sebring, 03 Durango, 07 Ram 1500, do I have this to look forward to on my other 2 vehicles?

Old 08-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

why would U say they are not taking care of the issue? Parts fail no way around it no car will last forever. U have an 01 that's 8 years old what else have U had to repair?
The recall for the vans have been addressed and that's why there is a recall on them.
As for other cars and trucks I have not replaced as many clock springs on them as the 96-00 minivans b4 and after the recall. By law 3 years 36k is the federal warranty that is on most cars and trucks. If u dont want to keep spending money on repairs get a new car every 3 years and prob solved to each is there own.

I'm a tech I still haft to fix my cars i dont get mad when something happens it comes with owning an older car.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by klayton
I'm sure we're splitting hairs here, the clock spring is probably not "defective" nor was the installation of the clock spring. The point I am trying to make is that there is a great deal of knowlege of this part or assembly needing repair on many Chrysler automobiles and yet the manufacturer is not correcting this problem. That doesn't seem quite fair does it? I own 3 Chrysler products, 01 Sebring, 03 Durango, 07 Ram 1500, do I have this to look forward to on my other 2 vehicles?
Let me clarify, the faulty clock spring is more prone on the Chrysler,Dodge, and Voyager model vans. The recall from the dealers are for the year 1996-2000 and they will change it for you free of charge.

With that said, there are no known clock spring failure for any other Chrysler, Dodge, or Voyager models. So klayton, you don't have to worry. If by any means your Sebring, Durango, or Ram happens to have a defective clock spring, now you have my write up in how to Do-It-Yourself for $30.00
(price varies.)

Old 08-05-2009, 03:27 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Paul68
Just had the same problem on our 196,000 mile '97 Voyager after having the rack changed. Checked on the Chrysler website and ours had never had the recall done, phoned the dealer and they have ordered a new clockspring in and will fit it on Tuesday..........let's see what happens....
Changed by dealer in 20 mins and my 3year old had a great time in the showroom while it was done.

Me, I'm happy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CruiseC/HORN/AIRBAG LIGHT. PROBLEM SOLVED/FIXED DIY Clock Spring