Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting Out! Wife says it must go!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 03:32 PM
Default Cutting Out! Wife says it must go!

Hi all, newbie to the forum. I've got a 2007 2.8 CRD grand Voyager Exec XS,105k miles, owned since 2008. The engine light started coming on about a year ago but no probs for a while then starting became difficult. My local garage diagnosed slow pressure build in the common rail. They replaced the fuel filter, mounting and heater plus harness, fitted reconditioned injectors (they tested as all having excessive bleed back) which improved the situation but didn't cure it until they replaced the fuel rail high pressure valve (not available from Chrysler included in the whole rail -£400- but can be obtained as a Bosch part separately for about £110) starting problems solved completely! The EGR pipe was split and they replaced that but not the valve. Then the cutting out problems started. The motor shuts down when under high load conditions, i.e. accelerating up hills, to overtake, with the entire family aboard and/or when towing a trailer. My garage has only found EGR fault codes, but visually the EGR seems to be functioning and no fuel rail pressure fault codes. But it still cuts out! My wife says it must go, but it must be solvable! Engine light stlll on, always starts 5-10 seconds after cutting out, providing ignition turned off for the time. I'm pretty good with spanners and a multimeter but not laptop interfaces etc. So where do I go from here?

Old 09-12-2014, 05:57 PM

- ask for tfb
- he travels close to you most days
- and will give you a free proper 'deep' read
- and a bit of advice in exchange for a cup of tea

Old 09-13-2014, 01:39 AM

Thanks QinteQ, however I'm not sure how to contact tfb as my control panel does not appear to have a 'contact member' button?
My email is ianrbrooks@aol.com to contact me directly

Old 09-13-2014, 12:14 PM
tfb

email sent

Regards
Richard

Old 09-13-2014, 04:04 PM

Await result...But what have we got as possible answer....The cure for this is on here....Instantly think of Fuel filter but that's been done or is there still a leak...Fuel rail pressure sensor ! Crank and Cam sensor ! Injectors but been done or still a leak ! Rail Bypass valve but been done but ? Surely not another wiring resistance fault to ECU for Richard.....EGR seems to be working ???

Old 09-15-2014, 01:53 AM

At times like this I long for the 'good old days' when diesels had mechanical injectors and pumps, when you could take out an injector and see the spray pattern, check the spill point timing, ho hum, diesels were dirty and smelly and rattled and knocked, but they were simple and easy to diagnose and work on........
But seriously, thanks for the help. I've now been contacted by a friend in France who's got an 06 Grand Voyager 2.8 with similar problems, only he reckons it cuts out mainly when cornering (?) Through that into the mix! His local garage thinks it's contaminants, dirt and/or algae in the fuel tank (apparently quite common with agricultural machinery), I suppose that's a consequence of living in rural Charente.
Hopefully Richard will be able to track down the cause and enable me to get my problems sorted.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:28 AM
tfb

Sorted (just waiting on confirmation of a successful trip back).

Fuel was leaking out of the pressure relief valve, the valve had been replaced previously and after cleaning the mating faces with a bit of tissue the leaking stopped. A quick local test drive was successful.

You can't emphasise how important cleanliness is when mating together items that are subjected to up to 27,000PSI.

Regards
Richard

Old 09-16-2014, 12:28 PM

Confirm trip back was no problem at all, full throttle achieved with no cutting out.
Cannot thank Richard enough, definitely the Yoda of diesel Voyagers (problem you have; Fix it I shall)
Best wishes to all,
Ian

Old 09-16-2014, 03:26 PM

Always liked happy endings

Old 09-17-2014, 02:46 PM

Yet again Fuel Pressure in rail, not injectors or sensor but relief valve.

Quick Reply: Cutting Out! Wife says it must go!