Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the dreaded p1130 code

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Default the dreaded p1130 code

right then ............first of all i better say hello again in this section...
hiya.....

grand voyager 2.5crd.2002
got a few little problems at the moment,
on tick over revs go up and down slightly....not enough to cut out but just up and down SOMETIMES.
and alot of black smoke if reved hard,
when i put ign on i can hear the pump making a squealin noise?
went to change the filter today , i thought easy job until i removed the bottom part of the fuel filter, lots of little bits of o ring , and the spring in the center of the filter came away......
im thinking also it might have a problem with the mprop valve(ive been reading on here)
can anyone tell me where that valve is please.........
also the egr valve, i think im a bit of pipe missing, would that peice of pipe missing cause the black smoke?...ive changed the air filter to a new k&n cone filter just to see if it would breath easyier.
so the maint things im after is a diagram of the position of the mprop valve and what can i do to stop the mass amounts of black smoke.........
anyway thanks in advance.
Ian
its got new injectors in her

Old 07-06-2011, 01:29 PM

any one?.............saves me bumping

Old 07-07-2011, 07:32 AM

The mprop valve is located on the high pressure pump. But there is not much to see if you detach it.

Is the EGR disconnected? Why?
Did you replace the injectors yourself? Why was this done?
Are you experiencing engine cut outs?
If you tell more about the history of the car maybe someone will be able to help.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:48 AM

thanks Jacob25crd for the reply.

i asked about the mprop valve as there is a 25 crd in the scrap yard, and i was going to whip it off ( might not be that easy )
egr valve........i only noticed that the other day. ( section of pipe missing) , and it must of been missing when i brought the motor.
injectors where done before i got the car.
engine dont cut out but when on tick over the revs drop slightly, enough to notice if you see what i mean.
its got 150000 thou on the clock, only had the car a week, so im starting to think it was dosed up with a lot of addatives......stop smoke bla bla bla.
im thinking of doing a compression test on it over the weekend and try and locate this small bit of pipe for the egr, might even get that valve out just to give it a clean.
thanks ian

Old 07-07-2011, 10:54 AM

Ok I see. Maybe the previous owner tried a few things and than gave up.

The mprop valve is fitted with (I believe) 3 torx screws.They can be stuck, so use a good quality tool to loosen them, otherwise you might damage them and they will not come loose.

If the mprop is faulty I would expect the engine to cut out every now and then, especially at hard acceleration. This gives the p1130 error. If the engione does not cut out, your p1130 code is probably an old one.

If possible hook up the car to a scanner and see if this gives you any pointers.

You might want to exclude the possibility of air in the fuel. If the problem only occurs when there is less then 1/3 in the tank the fuel sock might be blocked, causing the pump to suck air when you are starting the car (you should be able to hear this)

Last edited by Jacob25crd; 07-07-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:25 AM

thanks again for the reply.

if it aint raining the weekend , i think i will be looking over a few things.
do you think that piece of pipe missing from the egr could cause it to smoke heavy........black smoke that is .

thanks ian

Old 07-08-2011, 03:38 AM

Ian
I am not too much of an expert, but black smoke points to a mixture with too much fuel and too little air. I do not see a direct link with the egr. A defective injector could be a cause. In theory also the air flow sensor could be the problem. In fact anything could cause it: You can also check (for example) this page:
Black Diesel Engine Smoke at Diesel Fuel Performance

When you say "missing pipe" I have assumed that all open ends have been closed. If not I imagine this is a problem. Maybe you can illustrate with a foto.

I have never had problems with the egr, but I came across a number of posts that describe problems with them. Since you only have the car for a week and don't know what happened to it before. It could well be that the previous owner had one of the symptoms and decided to disconnect the egr.

Smoke can offcourse also be caused by burning oil, but then you would probably describe it as blue/grey rather than "black".

Old 07-08-2011, 12:29 PM

once again thanks jacob.
i will check that link later ....and the missing pipe is just missing WITH OPEN ENDS?
its only a short pipe about 4 inches, but its ofset so i cant just stick anything on there, got to be the right bit i think....
i will also try and get a pic of it and put it up here.......

if all goes well i owe u a pint or 2

thanks

Old 07-10-2011, 01:35 PM

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... not a section missing but the hole egr pipe is broke with sections missing.
there is a y reg 2.5 crd at the scrap yard where i live . is that year the same as mine? my car is a 2002..........and it seems a right pain in the neck to get at.

Ian

i also found a manual online can i put the links up here if anyone wants them ?

Old 07-10-2011, 02:57 PM

I wonder why the pipe missing. It doesn't seem like a part that wil wear off. I imagine somebody intentionally (has tried to) remove it. EGR valves are known to give trouble. Sometimes you read a recommendation to temporary close it using a "blind" plate. This is bad for fuel economy and might make the car fail MOT because of increased pollution, but otherwise does no harm. Maybe the previous owner has made an attempt at this.

If the EGR pipe is partially gone, it seems to me that false air comes into play and I can imagine this gives all sort of trouble.

My guess is that all 2.5 crd engine are alike in the egr department, and yes the EGR tube is hard to get at.

Quick Reply: the dreaded p1130 code