Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU reports multiple sensor failures

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Question ECU reports multiple sensor failures

1993 Voyager 2.5 non-turbo base model with manual tranny. It has low mileage and I love the MT so I'd like to keep it running.

The engine light is not on, but the ECU reports codes indicating Throttle position, Coolant temp, Fuel injector, O2, and MAP are all out of range or not responding. I have tested or replaced all of these and confirmed for most of them that the 5v ECU control voltage is present. There is also a code 12 though I haven't disconnected the battery recently.

The vehicle is still drivable but the engine lacks power (relative to before ). This is understandable since the ECU is not getting any feedback from these sensors so it's not able to optimize the air/fuel mixture or other engine controls. I'm thinking the ECU itself may have lost the ability to receive and process the outputs of these sensors.

Of course, I do not have a DRB II. Unlikely I'll find an ECU at an auto wrecker due to the MT being rare. Replacing the ECU involves sending mine in for a rebuild - about 2 weeks round trip. Will the vehicle run at all with the ECU missing? Should I fork out for a professional diagnosis or just go ahead and replace the ECU ($160 + core at RockAuto)? Are there other tests I could do without a DRB to confirm the ECU is faulty?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:02 PM

There is a company in FL that you can contact for a replacement ECU (mine for a 96 ran $99 with free shipping and limited lifetime warranty as long as you ship them back your old one with their prepaid label).

If you are interested I can get you their info

Old 06-26-2012, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by MNHawk
There is a company in FL that you can contact for a replacement ECU (mine for a 96 ran $99 with free shipping and limited lifetime warranty as long as you ship them back your old one with their prepaid label).

If you are interested I can get you their info
Yes, please! I would be delighted to find someone that has the rare MT Voyager ECU core in stock and at such a good price.