Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine cut out

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Default engine cut out

Hi all,

I was sitting in traffic this morning and the engine spluttered then stopped altogether. I tried it a couple of times to restart but the engine was just turning over. After a while the electrics were going a bit wonky ie rev/speedo went right over and then cam back to normal with engine not running.

The breakdown service guy said it may be ht eegr valve as you can hear the fuel pump rujnning.

TIA

Dave

Old 11-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Default RE: engine cut out

Hi
Any change you can post vehicle info as this would help

Old 11-30-2008, 02:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Merlin

Hi
Any change you can post vehicle info as this would help
Hi, it is a 06 2.8 crd.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:46 PM

Hi He could hear the fuel pump running? Are you sure and the 2.8 doesn’t have an electric lift pump, could have been the cabin heater he could hear. You want to look at the heater plug on the fuel filter housing (next to the hand prime pump) as these melt so let air into the fault system so it then will but out with fault code P1130 fuel pressure malfunction. There is a modified housing and a repair kit for the heater. The gauges do a sweep when the battery is down but make sure you get it charged up as your alternator wouldn’t fully charge back up a spiral battery that has been flat.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:38 AM

Hi Merlin,

Spoke to the stealer and they confirmed that. If that is the case surely at the last service it would have been noticed that it was beginning to burn and should have been changed. The car is 2 years old and we have it 6 months.

Dave

Old 12-01-2008, 12:24 PM

Hi
No, not unless they checked it. Unless you unplug it you can't see it is burnt. On the service you change the filter but don't touch the plug.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:00 AM

Thanks for that response. The stealer changed the part and the engine will not start now. There are no codes showing up on the diagnostics. The recovery truck guy got it started on monday but said he could hear air.

If the wrong fuel is put into the system, what effect will it have?? I am sure diesel was put into it but wide ****ling.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:46 AM

ORIGINAL: dryle

Thanks for that response. The stealer changed the part and the engine will not start now. There are no codes showing up on the diagnostics. The recovery truck guy got it started on monday but said he could hear air.

If the wrong fuel is put into the system, what effect will it have?? I am sure diesel was put into it but wide ****ling.
Potentially, disastrous - them to check out what's in it immediately. It depends on how much petrol was added, and how much diesel was left in, but I'm assuming that you filled up because you were low on fuel, so there will be a lot more petrol.

I would think (but others can correct me if I'm wrong) that if you took off the fuel cap, you'd be able to smell the presence of petrol as it's a different smell to diesel.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:11 AM

There was just under 1/2 tank and about 10 litres were put in, thing is I am 99% certain it was diesel.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Merlin
You want to look at the heater plug on the fuel filter housing (next to the hand prime pump) as these melt so let air into the fault system so it then will but out with fault code P1130 fuel pressure malfunction. There is a modified housing and a repair kit for the heater.
While rereading all posts I came across this note. I am wondering if a similar thing can happen on a 25 crd? Mine has a diesel fueled heater sitting underneath the car.

Dryle, I am curious what happened in the end, could you let us know?