Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine cuts out under hard acceleration, revlimiter reached.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Default Engine cuts out under hard acceleration, revlimiter reached.

Hi

2.8 crd limited auto. Diesel.

Had a serious fright the other week. I accelerated hard and went into the red on revs before the autobox changed up, all power then went, the engine would not rev at all. Luckily I was approaching red lights and stopped, unluckily for all who stopped behind me they had to wait a while as it took a couple of mins to get it to restart. All was then OK. This has happened twice before when the car was driven by my wife, only then she didnt stop and crawled home at about 25 MPH.

I believe that when over-revved it gets shut down by the onboard computer to prevent damage to the engine, all well and good.

My question is...... Is there any way to make the autobox change up a bit sooner on full power acceleration????

OK, the easy answer is lift off the accelerator, I know that. Spoke to a dealer today and they say that all gear-changes are programed into the ECU map, and this isnt changeable.

Anyone come across this before? And any idea how to get over it?

Regards

Chris

Old 04-09-2010, 05:09 PM

hi
it should never cut out only drop to limp in. what year is your voyager? I would check the heater plug on the fuel filter for melting if yours is an 06/07 with the filter under the bonnet. If this is melted it will let in air.
Also look under posts here for P1130 as I expect this maybe the fault you have.
There are software updates for the engine and transmission for the 2.8 one being to stop the engine braking the input shaft of the gearbox so I would still advice this is checked out.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:43 PM

Merlin

Thanks for the info. My car is an 05. I will call the garage during the week and check for software updates. Is there any way I can tell what software version I have in the car, I have a code reader. Do you know where the OBD socket is?

I will look to see if there are any fault codes displayed.

Many thanks

Old 04-11-2010, 03:08 PM

OBD socket is in the drivers footwell, fuel filter housing fault is under TSB 18-011-09 that I suspect your fault is.

Last edited by Merlin; 04-11-2010 at 03:15 PM.