Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 07:52 AM
Default Engine Knocking

I have just purchased a low mileage 32800 miles 2001 3.3l grand voyager. That has a knocking noise coming from the lower engine area at 2k rpm runs fine below that any ideas where to look would help

Old 11-19-2014, 12:42 PM

You better get it checked out before a rod goes through the block. Bottom engine pan off should check this out.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:04 PM

Thank for that.

I thought a These engines where bolt proof. Also I thought if it was a crank shaft where it would only knock on revving or under load not a constant rpm

Old 11-19-2014, 03:28 PM

You've got to think of your engine first, as replacement costs money and time.
But have a look underneath around engine area for signs of metal to metal confrontation, like engine mounts of which front one might be the easiest to see.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:46 PM

1st thing... Hows your engine oil level? Condition? And the correct grade. I would be very carfull with lower engine noises! Get the car to a trusted mechanic asap. Could be lots of things causing the noise! Big end bearing/oil pump/crankshaft sensor! The list goes on. Try and post a vid of it on you tube so we caan hear it...

Old 11-20-2014, 08:57 AM
tfb

no engine is bullet proof if the previous owners didn't bother changing the oil.

A knocking sound from bottom end of the engine pretty much means big ends or crank.

Regards
Richard

Old 11-20-2014, 12:22 PM

Thanks guys. I will take the auxillary belt of a check it's not any ancillaries before I check the crankshaft sensor and diving into the sump.
If I can I will post a you tube video of it.
Off coarse I will report back on the fault.
Any ideas are always welcome
FYI it has a full service history with no more than 3000 miles in one year of use.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by tfb
no engine is bullet proof if the previous owners didn't bother changing the oil.

A knocking sound from bottom end of the engine pretty much means big ends or crank.

Regards
Richard
O/T cheap DS708 Richie

Old 11-22-2014, 01:53 AM
tfb

will keep an eye on it. thanks

Old 11-22-2014, 01:21 PM

Re. engine "knock" from lower end. Bad bearings are unusual these days esp. on a low mileage vehicle, but as has been said, you don't know what's happened before you acquired the vehicle. If the age of the vehicle doesn't match the mileage, be suspicious it's been "clocked", and BTW, moderm electronic mileometers can be clocked just like the old mechanical ones. It's just a different method.

The knocking noise could be something else, poss. the clutch or gearbox if you have a manual.
If the knock gets heavier when you put your foot down, bigends are a likely culprit. If it's more of a light rattle, piston/gudgeon pins are likely. Main bearing wear is more of a rumble. A tendancy NOT to knock when the oil is cold and thicker, also points up probable bigends. If the oil pressure us not up to scratch, the bearings will complain. This is a favorite with those engines that have never had their oil changed ever, just topped up. The cruddy overloaded oil blocks up the oil galleries, starving the bearings, esp. the bigends with their impulsive heavy load.

If all seems good with he oil, I would pour a can of that STP "glop" into the engine to thicken the oil, then see if the knock is affected. If it is, you'll defo. know it's the bearings.

Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 11-22-2014 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Bad spelling.

Quick Reply: Engine Knocking