Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine not turning over

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Default engine not turning over

Hi

I have a grand voyager 2.8 deisel 2008

Last night my wife tried to start the car but the ignition would not turn the engine - there was no clicking - nothing. All electrical worked fine including doors etc. This morning it started first time.

any suggestions?

Also when we turn on the ignition all lights come on then most turn off. The remaining lights are a yellow engine light(?) brake light and oil light. When the engine starts they all go out apart from brake light and this goes out when the hand break is released.

Should these lights behave this way?

Lastly - when I put heater on i got a yellow light with 3 wavey lines with arrows at the top and a horizontal line atthe bottom. I assumed this was to say heater was on but not i think it is a warning light - any suggestions on this

Finally - does anyone know where I can get a spare drivers manual?

Old 06-18-2011, 10:52 AM

Your starting issue could be a bad earth strap somewhere, or faulty starter/starter solenoid. (unlikely in a car that age unless is has a big mileage)

The lights you describe on startup are normal. As long as they all go out after startup, thats ok. (Brake light on is normal when hand brake is set)

The yellow light with 3 wavey lines is the light to indicate the Aux cabin heater is running. This is a small diesel fired boiler located under the car. It is fitted to all voyager diesels to assist in warm up in cold weather, and comes on when you turn the cabin heating on. If you search the forum you'll find more in depth information about the aux cabin heater.

I suppose chrysler would sell you an owners manual at a price. Failing that maybe ebay would be a good place to start.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:35 PM

Hi

I had this problem a few months ago, slowly got worse. Please see link below. The problem has not returned.

https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...r-motor-14027/

Old 06-19-2011, 08:31 AM

Thanks for the update - this has put my mind at ease - especially the heater indicator - didn't know if it was a warning or on indicator.

thanks again

Originally Posted by booke23
Your starting issue could be a bad earth strap somewhere, or faulty starter/starter solenoid. (unlikely in a car that age unless is has a big mileage)

The lights you describe on startup are normal. As long as they all go out after startup, thats ok. (Brake light on is normal when hand brake is set)

The yellow light with 3 wavey lines is the light to indicate the Aux cabin heater is running. This is a small diesel fired boiler located under the car. It is fitted to all voyager diesels to assist in warm up in cold weather, and comes on when you turn the cabin heating on. If you search the forum you'll find more in depth information about the aux cabin heater.

I suppose chrysler would sell you an owners manual at a price. Failing that maybe ebay would be a good place to start.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:33 AM

Hi
Thanks for this information - will bear it in mind. I am no mechanic nor very useful with cars - but I know someone who is - I will tell them what you said and hopefully if it happens again I have some options as well as an action plan next time my mechanic friend is around.

Paul

Originally Posted by rodger
Hi

I had this problem a few months ago, slowly got worse. Please see link below. The problem has not returned.

https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...r-motor-14027/