Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Evaporative System Issue

Old 07-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Default Evaporative System Issue

My Evap system is not returning a good or bad status on the OBD reading. On my reading ther Evap is indicating not tested yet. I had reset the codes about a week before an emissions inspection and it would not pass due to no reading from the computer. I've since driving about 400 miles and still no solid status. Previously I had evap codes (small leak, gross leak) and put on a new gas cap. How do I get the OBD to a point where it either reads good or codes are set. Right now I'm in emissions limbo. The shop can give me a sticker until either the computer reads good, or they see trouble codes and fix them.

I'm thinking my problem is the gas filler neck, it looks pretty rusty around the top evap hose. But Ill probably just have the shop run a smoke test..too much stuff for trial and error!

Thanks

Ray

Old 07-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Evaporative System Issue

what year van and engine

Old 07-02-2007, 12:31 PM

duh, Year and model...I guess that would help 2001 T&C 3.8 FWD

Old 07-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

what has not passed evap leak or what? I know that year van evap hoses get old and crack under the air box, near the evap canister, and to and from the canister. check them out

Old 07-02-2007, 07:27 PM

There are no codes set at the time, but I had codes P0442 and the otherP0455. They were reset when I put on a new gas cap. Now when I hook up my OBDII scanner, the E/V indicator on it flashes and has a yellow (as opposed to green) for an emissions status. Also, if I turn the ignition to on, but not start, the MIL starts flashing after a short solid on. The shop (local not dealer) states that the diag scan returns incomplete (or something like that). It did not pass, and no trouble codes are set. I guess I'm trying to understand what, if anything I can do to help move along the diagnostic cycle. Actually fixing the E/V system is beyond me as there are so many places the thing can leak. I just want to get a trouble code and then spend some money to get it past emissions (either fixed/passed or waived for the year). Right now, my sticker has expired

Old 07-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Well depends on what setup u have in the computer some systems have 4 some have 6 on IM testing. A dealer can be better equipt on telling u what has not passed sence tehy can see what has and has not . Plus if tehy are ne good tehy can make them pass basicly force them to run by driving a certan way looking at the DRB. I had to do one today for a cust.