Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

every thing works but it wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Angry every thing works but it wont start.

3 days ago I did a bunch of running around, made a few stops and came home. I vacuumed out my 06 Chrysler T&C (3.3) and my 1 1/2 year old was wandering throughout the van with the keys. a few hours later went to leave and van wouldn't start. No crank, no turnover, nothing. since then we have changed the starter/solenoid and checked all the fuses and replaced the starter relay fuse just to be safe. Hooked it up to machine at auto zone to get any codes and it says "No Codes" and the odometer reading will not give any problem codes either, it just says "Done". we think my son may have triggered some kind of security fail switch of some how playing with the keys but cant find any info on it. we have jumped the van a few times...makes no difference....all the stuff in the van works just fine...just wont start. let me see if theirs anymore info i can give....our key is black, not grey. van has never stalled or anything. nothing on dash board is lit up. tried putting it in neutral or in gear to start. and we have taken it off the battery over night and also only off the negative post for a while too. and tried to jump it from the starter relay fuse. really have tried everything. last step is to tow it. really dont want to though. Can anyone help!?!?!?!

Old 11-11-2010, 10:19 PM

If the starter circuit IN the PCM is faulty you probably won't see a code. An open wire TO the PCM usually DOES generate a code. I'm assuming all the starter circuit checks were done properly? It looks like you covered it all....except... Did you check the starter RELAY itself? Not just the starter fuse..

Old 11-12-2010, 07:20 AM

Thanks for the reply! I havent looked into the PCM. were not sure of how to do that. they will have to check that when i go to the shop with it i dont even know where it is. were going to double check the starter circuit checks this morning. and i didnt know there was an actual relay. I thought only the relay fuse....another thing for the shop. we usually dont do too much work ourselves on the van. but last night i replaced some fuses and now when i go to turn it on i can hear the fuel injectors kick on. so that is good i think...it used to be silent with clicking. we still have the clicking noise though. still not sure.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:56 PM

I'm having same issue with 1998 t & c....

Old 06-07-2011, 09:05 AM

Im having exact same issue with a 03 3.8. Came home shut off and now wont do anything, completely frustrated. I already replaced the ignition switch and we get clicking out at the fuse box. I even went as far as plugging up an aftermarket pcm and still nothing. I have the same black key

Old 06-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Thumbs up Rando, I may have some info you can use...:)

same was happening to me.(see previous post somewhere here...can't figure out where to find it)..I love my van..a Chrysler T & C, not sure of the particulars, but my favorite drive of all..I'm nearly 62 by the way...I am not a car crazy, and have no idea if I am phrasing any of this correctly, but I was having the same issue..would run and drive fine for a long while...and then boom! not start, I was even brave enough to drive to Northern BC...by myself...of course, when I stopped for anything other than gas or sleep, I left it running...
back to the story...I have had my van towed at least 10 times..thank the lord for Triple A...it always involved pulling it onto one of those flatbed tow trucks..which jiggled it some, and when I got to the dealership...not the same one always..just near wherever I happened to stall...my van would always start...and they could never find anything wrong...or had no idea how to fix...etc...on and on...always an unsatisfactory excuse to me...or if I left it overnight, it would 'usually' start...this behavior got me thinking...and looking on the internet..which led me to this site...somewhere in my travels, I saw someone who mentioned the 'instrument harness' ...after my successful return from Northern BC...I visited my car guy..the man who works on my van and all the other cars in my family...I told him and his son, who works with his dad, about the instrument harness and the comments about it here on the web..

His son took the dash apart, removed the harness..and looked at all the solder dots on the card..some looked 'skimpy' and like the robot who did the soldering, ran out of juice the day they were done...The good son volunteered to take it home and re-solder those points..there were maybe 5 that were questionable..if I would agree..and I did...by this time I am desperate...he did..plugged it back in, making SURE the plugins were well connected...and it has not faltered since....making me very happy..as I said..I love this van...

An alternative to this, is to replace the harness with one from a junk yard..paying attention to the color of the plugs..I saw that here somewhere too..not sure where...but you may get a lemon doing that..so if you have the nerve, I recommend the solder fix...

Another thing I was going to try, in a pinch...was to jump up and down on the van like a monkey...or jack up the front or back end to re-negotiate where the connection wasn't connecting...to maybe get the connection that wasn't connecting and causing this to re-connect...I thought this one up on my own, based on knowing the van would start always after being dragged up onto the tow vehicle...

Good Luck my friend...this is good advice...let me know what works out for you?

And to Chrysler fix-it guys and gals...please know this is a bigger problem than just a few..my technician is now using my fix on other vans...so a win win...to not replace the instrument harness for hundreds of dollars...and make more customers happy...Many times when I was towed somewhere I was told I was not the only one this happened to..a lot...