Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

flooded car

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Default flooded car

Hello,

We had some bad luck to day and my wife got into a deep pond and the engine died. It is a T&C 2006.

It seems the electrical system (doors and windows) is working. Water got to the carpets but not the seats. My wife never restarted the car after it halted and it was towed to our general mechanic. We do not have flood insurance and are short on cash.

The mechanic said he has to:
1. turn the motor upside-down to make sure there is no water.
2. replace all the oils and filters.
3. take out the seats and lift the carpets.

I thought I would rent a dry-wet vacuum and help the drying.

1. Does any one have an estimation of how much the mechanic should charge (Houston area).
2. Any other tips
3. Any need to take the car into the dealership

Old 01-10-2012, 05:38 AM

i would check the oil for contamination first before changing it,i would change the air filter and check the oil breather system.

get a couple of hairdryers in there and dry as much as u can,no point paying some one else to do a few simple tasks..

get the vehicle dried out,make sure all the electrics are dry,then take it from there.

but i woudnt want anyone turning my vehicle upside down,oil goes places its not suppost to.

check diesel filter,replace if needed.

check in and around fuseboxes make sure they are dry and no signs of corrosion.

quicker u get vehicle dry the better.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:20 AM

Wet and dry vacuum is a good way to get the excess water out of the carpets. I see you're in Texas so the climate should be in your favour to dry the car! Did the engine definately ingest water? (is the air filter wet/water in the air filter housing)

If there are signs of water ingestion into the engine then I'd remove all the spark plugs (I assume it's not a diesel so no diesel filter to worry about), turn the engine over using a spanner to make sure the timing belt hasn't slipped, then turn it over on the starter to clear the cylinders of water, replace the air filter and the oil/oil filter then try to start it.

Hopefully there will be no internal damage to the engine although that is possible, but cross that bridge if you get to it....try the above first. The heat from the engine when it gets hot will take care of any water in and around the engine bay. No need for a dealer to get involved.

Last edited by booke23; 01-10-2012 at 01:07 PM.