Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

front air-bag sensors

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 12:20 PM
Default front air-bag sensors

Hi
well we managed to get an MOT----the testers put the a/bag light out
But what I would like to know is-----how can I waterproof the front sensors so that I can wash the car---or drive in the rain--------------or do I wait until next MOT to get the light put out (or not wash the car)
We only did 2000miles since the last MOT and new sensors being fitted
Nigel

Old 04-30-2014, 02:23 PM
tfb

gone again have they?

1st suggestion would be to cover them in silicon sealant, though you need to make sure they are fully dry. Putting them in the oven at 50 degrees for half an hour should do the trick. Make sure the connector is fully covered too.

Failing that, it might be time to look at the wiring. Did you have a chat with the dealer who did the recall work?

Regards
Richard

Old 04-30-2014, 05:25 PM

Hi Richard
We had the car washed before we were taking it for MOT and they wet the sensor again
We have had friends staying over for two weeks so couldn't spend any time on it.
I am going to send an E-mail to Chrysler UK and ask for a suggestion to water-proof the sensors.
I had planned to cover the sensors in Waxoyl, but a bit afraid the solvent will get inside
We only did 2000 miles in the car in the last year and 300 of them were driving to the Chrysler dealer to get the sensors changed (it would probably have been cheaper to buy them and change them myself )----I don't really feel like another trip to them
TODAY the light is NOT on
Nigel

Old 05-12-2014, 04:40 PM

Latest on my air-bag lights---------
I E-mailed Chrysler UK -----no reply yet-----I was hoping to get their suggestion to water-proof the sensors BEFORE I smothered them in gunge ---------Too late, I had to drive the car today in a little rain----you guessed it-----the light is back on again----at least I have 362 days before the MOT is due
Does anyone know of a reasonable priced code reader that I could buy that will recognise the air bags-----the one I have only reads engine and transmission.

I might still contact the Chrysler dealer that changed the sensors----but they are 50 miles away
Nigel & Pamala

Old 05-23-2014, 05:46 PM

I know i'm really sad----but-----I am soo excited today-----------my air bag light has gone out on it's own I did think it was one of the lights that had to be cancelled with a code reader
My job tomorrow-----before I wash the car or drive in the rain again is to cover the front sensors in gunge
Nigel

Old 05-24-2014, 03:55 AM

Yes, silicon sealant is the usual one for "tropicalizing" electronic components, you can get the 'proper stuff' from such as Radiospares or A.C. Farnell. You must make sure the component is completely dry and free from dust and crud. There seems to be nowadays more than one type of silicon sealant; the one that smells of vinegar is the one that's always worked for me.

Leedsman.