Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front blower problems...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Default front blower problems...?

hi all! i too am having problems with my front blower heater in my 2001 t&c limited with automatic temp control. i tried replacing the blower motor resistor module and no luck. the rear heaters work and i can hear the gears turn when i switch between the settings. is there something im doing wrong? was i supposed to press any buttons or anything before or after the install?

thanks in advance!

Old 12-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Default RE: front blower problems...?

How ironic is this. I was going to post the same exact message. I replaced the resister module last night and still a dead front blower fan. Fan does not work at any setting. Rear works fine.

BTW, I have a 2001 T&C Limited AWD.

So, is the blower dead? What next?

TIA

Old 12-18-2008, 01:29 PM

If you guys have ATC, you should not be using a "resistor", but a blower control module. There's a big difference, so make sure you are using the right thing. You can run some tests on the wiring to make sure you are getting 12v at the blower control module and have good ground. You can check the blower motor itself by connecting a 12v power supply directly to it to see if it comes on.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:03 AM

I just wanted to close the loop on this problem. After replacing the resistor module failed to fix my problem, I decided to bite the bullet and take it to the dealership. I didn't have time to fuss around with tracking a problem. The first dealership I took it too diagnosed that the motor itself had gone bad. (This occurred on Dec 22) They gave me an estimate of $350 to replace. I told them to go ahead and do the work. A couple hours later, they call me to tell me it's going to cost over a $1000. I ended up talking to the service manager because this was ridiculous that their own book says the job costs $350, then they come back and tell me the book was wrong. His explanation as to why that was basically because of a mid-year design change. Although plausible, that shouldn't be my problem to worry about. They should charge the customer the book rate, and bill Chrysler for the difference, or eat it. I told the guy I would not pay that much to replace a fan motor and he gave me another option. This other option was to break a component that would make extraction easier. This option would cost about $550, this included a new part to replace the one they would break. Of course, they did not have this part in stock, and would have to order it. It wouldn't arrive until Wednesday (Dec 31). I told them to go ahead and order the part and I made an appointment for Dec 31.

Meanwhile, I just couldn't stand the thought of going back to this dealership. Aside from the price hike, I was having a terrible time getting in touch with my service adviser. I left him voice mails and he wouldn't listen to them and he was never available when I would call. I know he didn't listen to the messages because he would ask me things that I already answered in the voice mail. I just got a bad vibe from this place. So I called another dealership and gave them the run down. The guy there said they were full of it for jacking the price up and if the book was wrong, they wouldn't be asking me for more. He also said they wouldn't have to break anything to get it out. So I made an appointment with them and I was able to get in on the Dec 27 to boot.

I got the work done for $510 (with tax) and in one day. It turns out the motor was operational, it just had some kind of short that made it draw more current than normal. This in turn would fry the resistor module. So yes, the new module I put in got fried. So they had to put in another one. This is why the cost went up. The module cost $90 around here, not the $80 others have reported.

Hope this helps someone.