Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Front Hub Bearing Replacement.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:39 AM
Default Front Hub Bearing Replacement.

Hi All
I've had our Grand Voyager [UK spec] for 2 years now, most of that time i've had an intermittent 'helicoptor noise' from the front left hub bearing, last week it went from a 'Helicoptor' to BANG, BANG, BANG!! Bearing GONE! [:@]
A few months ago I posted asking if the above job was difficult, no one replyed so i went ahead and had a go.

Its not too bad , I was working in the bus depot where i work so i had access to air tools and 3/4inch sockets etc.

First i removed the brake caliper & rotor. Next i got a 1inch drive air gun on the drive nut. EASY!
I then removed the ABS sensor from the back of the hub and the four bolts holding the bearing into the hub.
The bearing should have just come off, but 11 years of dirt & road salt had made it tight.
I finished up removing the hub from the bottom of the suspension up-right. Its just the bottom ball joint, tie-rod end and 2 bolts on the top.
I then held the hub in a vice whilst i use a large socket and 4lb lump hammer to drive the bearing out.
Before fitting the new one i cleaned the face of the hub with emery cloth to ensure a flat mounting surface.
Building back up was easy.

To sum up, easy , but you need access to proper tools, idealy a good 1/2 inch air gun & a long bar to crack the drive nut.

Hope someone finds this helpful,

Gareth