Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front wheel bearing/hub.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 11:11 AM
pob
Default Front wheel bearing/hub.

Hi,

I have a 2004 CRD 2.8D, the front drivers side wheel bearing needs replaced.

The local breakers has a 2.5D Voyager (£30)

Are the wheel bearings the same in all models whether they're 2.8/2.5 or Voyager/Grand Voyager?

Thanks,

Old 05-13-2014, 01:08 PM
tfb

yep, they are the same

However, carparts4less are doing a new one for £85 and you can usually find a 5 or 10% discount code for them somewhere

Regards
Richard

Old 05-13-2014, 04:33 PM
pob

ok thanks.

There's loads of cheap bearings on ebay, but I've always been suspicious of their quality.
Plus there's always "No delivery to Northern Ireland" to contend with.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:24 PM

Eurocarparts, if you're near one, do one for £118.

If you use SPRING30 in the Promo code box, that'll be £83.16 and reserve/uplift in store.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:33 AM
pob

Thanks, - good to know the code for future reference.
The £30 complete hub from a local breakers came off a 50k rear end write off so I've gone ahead and bought that.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:02 AM
pob

Right.....when driving this had all the symptoms of a wheel bearing on the way out; bit of a hum from the front right when driving in a straight line then more noticeable when turning left.

I jacked the car up and grabbing the wheel there's only movement in a left/right direction, none in the top to bottom.

Taking the caliper, disc and hub nut off and pushing the drive shaft back there wasn't any perceptible movement in the bearing.

As I got the bearing complete with the hub carrier I was just going to change the complete unit.
My neighbour (who has now moved) helped me do the top mount on the car and put everything back together with air tools. Even using a 2ft torque spanner I can't get the 2 nuts that connect the hub carrier to the bottom of the strut to budge.

So I've sprayed everything in penetrating fluid and put it all back together and go out for a de-stress in this...
Name:  side.jpg
Views: 2173
Size:  122.9 KB

Any thoughts as to if its definitely the bearing?

Last edited by pob; 05-18-2014 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:43 AM

Hi
exact same symptoms that I had-----I did fear that the rumbling was in the drive (gearbox) end of the driveshaft------I couldn't detect any play in the wheel bearing------but fitting the new wheel bearing assy cured it------I did watch the operation on U-tube before I started---I found mine was quite east to do
Nigel

Old 05-18-2014, 10:02 AM

If you get a real stubborn big nut that won't shift no matter what you use, train one of those little gaz blowlanps on it for a while -- it'll shift.
I've even used electric paint stripper guns but they don't always work.

Leedsman.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:07 PM
pob

Originally Posted by Leedsman
If you get a real stubborn big nut that won't shift no matter what you use, train one of those little gaz blowlamps on it for a while

Leedsman.
Will that still work? It isn't rusted on - its just incredibly tight. My torque spanner goes up to 200ftlb and it was clicking off.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:55 PM
tfb

heat will soften the metal and break the rust, get it glowing red and it will come off. Other than that, it's a scaffolding bar over the end of the breaker bar.

Regards
Richard

Quick Reply: Front wheel bearing/hub.