Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front suspension Ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Default Front suspension Ball joints

Hi,
New to this forum and in the UK. I have a 2001 Grand Voyager - great car but having problems with a knocking noise from RH front suspension. I don't use Chrysler dealerships - not one close by and high labour rates! Local garage has identified problem as a worn ball joint in the wishbone ( control arm in the USA?). However we are having problems sourcing a replacement. Garage did get one but instead of being a tight fit requiring pressure to force it into the socket on the wishbone it was loose. Also being told by some that it is not possible to get ball joints as a seperate part any more, they say one has to buy the complete wishbone with ball joint already fitted!...A rip off? Would have a part shipped from the USA if necessary but if i supply the VIN could they guarantee it would fit? Greatful for any advice.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:33 PM
Default RE: Front suspension Ball joints

Hi
Yes it’s a complete arm. The ball joint is not a common failure more issues are anti roll bar links, anti roll bar D bushes or the bushes on the end of the lower arms. I would suspect you will still have a problem after the replacement. Even top shock mounts and steering racks are more common then ball joints. Best of luck.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:27 AM
Default RE: Front suspension Ball joints

Is your garage sure it's the wishbone joint - I've just had the sway bar control arms and anti roll bar bushes replaced and the knocking noise I had over bumps and rough ground has disappeared completely. (see the thread on noisy front suspension)

Either way, I'm in the UK and can highly recommend RockAuto (www.rockauto.com) as I've just had parts sent over - it cost $1 extra for priority shipping over normal shipping costs, and the parts arrived in just under 48 hours of ordering, and cost much less than UK Chrysler prices.