Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Gas smell in oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 11:30 AM
Default Gas smell in oil

I have a 2002 T&C 3.3 and noticed a gas smell in the oil. I changed it out and was gone. I drove aproximently 20 miles, smell checked the dipstick and the oil smells like gas again.
Fuel injectors? I feel, no. Question, if they were bad the fuel would seep past while in park and engine off?
O2 sensor? I feel would be a better bet.
Sparks were changed and engine runs smooth with no smoke out the back. Also there is no "check engine" light on.
Did I miss anything? Or does the o2 sensor sound like the best bet?

Old 08-19-2016, 03:33 PM

For gas to get into the engine oil it must pass the piston rings as normally the gas is injected into the upper cylinder and then compressed and ignited...

If you have no check engine light on then you can probably rule out anything thats monitored/controlled by the ECM and look for an "unmonitored" mechanical fault such as worn piston rings allowing the fuel to go down into the oil pan...or a
faulty PCV valve allowing the gas to recirculate back into the crankcase...

I'd swap out the pcv valve as its cheap and if it does the same thing, time for a compression test

fuel injectors or O2 sensor would throw a code if they were faulty
EDIT:

Thinking about it more.... fuel injector could be not closing completely as it should ( not sure if that would throw a code ) which when running or shut off would feed gas into that particular cylinder continually ( when not running it would feed gas untill the pressure in the gasline is depleted )... this would result in that cylinder being "flooded "...and it seeping past the piston rings and down into the oil if left sitting for awhile so fuel injector could be it but you should definately see smoke out the back on start up if this were happening unless the rings were so worn it never stayed on the piston and went right down into your crankcase in which case your engine would not be running smooth unless all the remaining cylinders had the same wear in them...

O2 sensor would throw a code if it were the cause

Last edited by 05sebringconv; 08-19-2016 at 03:45 PM.