Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge problem with '97 Voyager

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 01:15 AM
Default Gauge problem with '97 Voyager

Hi all,
I have a gauge problem with a '97 Plymouth Voyager. About a year ago the problem started intermittently. The gauges would all die and the ABS light would come on. The van would run rough at idle, but okay when in motion. After a few moments it would clear up and everything would function normally again. It started out very sporadically, but seemed to be caused more often by hot weather. Recently the problem has become more frequent, and now for the last two weeks it is constantly in the erroneous state. Does anybody have any recommendations as to what I should check?

Just for the record, I have the 3.0L engine.

Thanks,
-George

Old 10-01-2006, 09:14 AM
Default RE: Gauge problem with '97 Voyager

Sounds like the cracked solder problem on the dash PC board. pentabob on another forum posted this fix. You will need a manual to show you how to remove the trim pieces. It's an easy fix and takes about two hours start to finish. I think you should add a small bit of new rosin core solder to the old bead when you re-heat the joint. The problem seems to occur on the grounding points, but I did all the joints in the cable assembly.
As always good luck with your project.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Default RE: Gauge problem with '97 Voyager

Oh, I missed that you had a 3.0. You have to watch the tranny indicator when you remove the dash module. If your not careful you can crack the panel. I have a 3.3 so don't have actual experience with getting it out of a 3.0. I guess you will have to figure it out. Here are a couple of threads on the same subject. Thread #1. Thread #2. Sorry, I can't find the link that explains the shifter indicator and PC removal problem on the 3.3. I think it's obvious and it involves angeling it around the indicator. Go slow and carefully was the instruction, as I recall. Perhaps someone else will chime in.