Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Fuel Gauge and Filling Tank Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Default Fuel Gauge and Filling Tank Problem.

Friends,

I have seen many posts with similar topics without any real conclusions to this issue. I hope this post gets some new developments on the situation we have with our Pacifica 05.
On my 2005 Pacifica, the gas gauge drops from about 290Km down to like 40Kms as soons as the needle hits the half way mark. From there, the fuel reader with fluctuate and play games with the remaining amount of fuel to empty message. This is a problem that got worse and worse as time went on. It always drops once it hits that half way mark. When I try to fill it up... I need to nurse it... hold the pump lightly and slowly give it gas... it will at this point only take about half of what it used to take to fill it up. ( This sorta speaks to the idea of one half of the camel tank still being full.) The scary thing is I've already brought it in to the dealer. The charged me 800$ to change both sending units and the problem isn't even fixed. Now they want 1000$ to change the entire gas tank. I'm starting to freak out here. All the posts never have the solution aside from the potential recall for updating the body control module. Not sure if the body upgrade is applicable to the 2005 2WD I have. The VIN is: 5R295302. Any help you can give me to lead this dealer in the right direction is going to help. Thanks for your time! I know there was a TSB on the 2004 similar to this, but my car is a 2005. Thanks for any direction..

Old 01-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Default RE: Fuel Gauge and Filling Tank Problem.

This is a well documented problem with some PACS. Read the forum it has appeared more than once and I believe there was a TSB on it.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:02 AM

i have a 2011 Town and Country. I am having a problem putting fuel in. Gas backs upo the filler tube and shuts the pump off. Fast of slow flow doesn't make any difference. It takes me 12+ minutes to fill the tank. They have replaced the fuel pump and the filler tube so far but now change. My wuess it is a venting problem. The next step is replacing the fuel tank. Any ideas???

Old 05-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Default TSB On problem.

There is a TSB on this problem if you go to your chrysler dealership.

Here it is:

1. Is the vehicle a LX/LE/LC/L2
a.yes procede to step #2
b.no procede to step #4
2. Idle the vehicle 60 to 90 seconds upon stopping
3. Does tank refill properly?
a.no proceed to step #4
b.yes: inform the customer to idle the vehicle for 60 to 90 seconds upon stopping if vehilce was driven aggressively. this is due to the fact that on the LX/LE/LC/L2 the fuel tank is a unique saddle tank design and needs 30 to 60 seconds while the engine is runnign to level the fuel in both half's of the fuel tank. Allowing the vehicle to idle for this amount of time will let the fuel pump transfer fuel to the left side of the tank opening the control valve and allowing normal fuel filling.
4. Disconect the capor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.
5. Attempt to refill fuel tank.
6. Does tank fefill properly?
a.yes: proceed to step #7
b.no: proceed to step #11
7. Reconnect the capor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.
8. Disconnect the other end of the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel filler tube.
9. Attempt to refill the tank.
10. Does tank refill properly?
a.yes: relplace fuel filler tube
b.no: replace the vapor recirculation tube at the fuel tank.
11.Disconnect the coutrol valve to EVAP canister tube at the fuel tank.
12. Reconnect the vapor recurculation tube at the fuel tank.
13. Does tank refill properly?
a.no: replace fuel tank.
b.yesroceed to step #14
14. Reconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the fuel tank.
15. Disconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the EVAP Canister.
16. Attempt to refill fuel tank.
17. Does tank refill properly?
a.yes blockage is in the EVAP Canister, or ESIM, or Clean air hose (ESIM vent hose) or filter Diagnose appropriately.
b.no: replace the control valve to EVAP Canister tube.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Default My opinion

If you are simply only having a filling issue then there is a chance that the problem that your having is the fuel tank. If you are having the same problem as hundreds of other people, (fuel guage going from half to empty quicker then you could say holy crap and only costing half as much to fill) then the problem has more to do then just the tank. I have chaged fuel pumps twice on my car with no prevail. The pump on the passenger side only feeds gas back to the drivers side and has nothing except a fuel pressure regualtor that is mechanical. Nothing electrical goes to that side of the tank. What happens is as the gas is getting pumped from the drivers side from the pump all extra fuel that passes the regulator shoots back up from the bottom of the pump to cause a syphoning effect to transfer the fuel back to the drivers side. The only thing that connects to the jet pump (passenger side) are three hoses from the EVAP system and one fuel hose. Next step for me is to disconnect the EVAP Hose from the tank to see if it works. I would appreciate it if someone else tried as well to see if it works. I will post more upon doing so to update everyone on my progress.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:29 PM

Has anyone figured this problem out yet?

Old 10-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Question

Originally Posted by gturb03
Has anyone figured this problem out yet?
I'm having a similar problem but my needle drops when it hits about 1/4 full not 1/2 like the OP experiences. I read on another forum that there is a venting filter somewhere underneath the car that gets dirty and clogged preventing fuel from transferring and/or making fill-ups more difficult. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find such filter, fortunately for me it's not that big of a deal since I always fill up when there's about 1/4 tank left anyways.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:41 PM

still no fix for these problems?

Old 10-18-2013, 06:55 AM
Default Fuel guage saying the tank isnt full

IS THIS JST FOR THE 2005 PACIFICAS OR NOT CAUSE I JST FILLED THE CAR THIS MORNING AND ITS TELLING ME THAT THE TANK ISNT FULL

Old 08-29-2018, 10:05 AM

I am having a difficult fill problem in my 2003 T&C. I have diagnosed it to the vent valve in the tank.

The fuel tank doesn't seem to be available from the dealer (they say backorder with no ETA and $1000 at that). The vent valve does not seem to be separately replaceable on these tanks. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is it possible to install a new vent valve? Or should I be looking for salvage yard tanks?