Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

getting horrible gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Default getting horrible gas mileage

hello i have a 01 t&c 3.8l that is getting really bad gas milegae its getting on average 12-14 mpg when i was getting arond 18 the only thing i can think of is either the spark plugs or spark plug wires i replaced both i put in bosch 4 plaanium plugs and regular cables since on of the old ones ripped when changing plugs other than that i cannot think of anything else any suggestion and if i need a specific spark plug please tell me which one thanks for your time

Old 09-09-2009, 11:03 PM

no check engine lights? how is the tire pressure, how is the air filter, how many miles on the van. Are the wheels aligned right, how hast so you drive? Have you ever changed the o2 sensor(s). Any brakes sticking?

Old 09-10-2009, 11:59 AM

nope no check egine brand new tires with good pressure almost 90 thosand miles wheels are alligned brakes are good havent changed a 02 sensor

Old 10-06-2009, 12:37 AM
Angry Getting the same

Hi
I have suffered from this since 2001 when I bought my car new in California.I now live in Sweden and it still drinks like crazy. So far NOBODY will attempt to fix it or acnowledge it as a problem. Tire pressure, air filters, you name it nothing helps.
Occasionally it will suddenly behave for a while (like when I needed to change a lambda sensor) then suddenly go back to drinking excessively. My highway miles can get as low as 12l/100km but around town it is 18-20l/100km. I have pretty much given up on this basket case. Chrysler does not seem to care and the standard answer is "no error codes, no problemo". Big help.

A

Old 10-10-2009, 03:00 AM

Hi, I have a 98 grand voyager and according to the trip computer its doing 18 mpg. I have seen folk on the web say they are getting around 25 or more mpg with the same car. I don't know how they are doing it as I have not been hammering the car. I love the car and really want to keep it I have wanted one for years but I have only used it this week for the commute to work and have already fed it £60 worth of fuel. looking into an lpg conversion to try and save money but I would be greatful if there are any answers or ideas other than those already mentioned. I was also looking into fitting an EGR valve and what was involved in that, to see if that would save cash on fuel. where I live I pay around about £1.02 per litre (not gallon, litre!)of fuel. Fuel in the uk is extortionate.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:04 AM

Hi,

I have a 1999 Grand Voyager that runs on LPG or Petrol. Petrol here (Reading, UK) is £1.06 per litre and Gas is 52.9p, so there is a good saving there. The car shows 13.2mpg (which by all accounts seems bad), which that translates to about 25mpg (in town) financially, which I didn't think was too bad for a 3.3l 7 seater.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:09 AM

I have a 2003 town and country with 3.8. I average 25mpg. but we use US gallons and not liters or Imperial Gallons. I don't go by the approximation gage that tells me how many MPG I get. I go buy the actual miles traveled divided by the actual gallons used. I find there's quite a variance between the gage and reality.

but if you are indeed getting poor gas mileage. go to www.fueleconomy.gov. they have a huge list of things to check besides spark plugs, alignment, oxygen sensors and tire pressure

Old 10-11-2009, 01:02 AM

Thanks for that website its great. I am not convinced yet by converting to gas. I am doing about 10,000 miles a year all extra urban miles so I suppose as I am not doing long runs on the motorway I should expect poor MPG. I have also noticed that the trip computer is a bit hit or miss, so I will monitor my usage and fuel over the coming weeks to work out what I am getting. I live on a hill and getting a proper reading is a nightmare. I went from a distance to empty of 72 miles on the level to zero when parked on the hill at home. Great car though. Love driving it.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Antony
Hi
I have suffered from this since 2001 when I bought my car new in California.I now live in Sweden and it still drinks like crazy. So far NOBODY will attempt to fix it or acnowledge it as a problem. Tire pressure, air filters, you name it nothing helps.
Occasionally it will suddenly behave for a while (like when I needed to change a lambda sensor) then suddenly go back to drinking excessively. My highway miles can get as low as 12l/100km but around town it is 18-20l/100km. I have pretty much given up on this basket case. Chrysler does not seem to care and the standard answer is "no error codes, no problemo". Big help.A
The mileage is about the same I get for our 3.3 V6.

OT numbers:
New price: 55.000 Euro (81,125.37 USD).
Road tax: 508 Euro a year (749 USD).
Petrol: 1.40 Euro per liter (2 USD).
LPG: 0.60 Euro per liter (0.89 USD).

Last edited by Master Chief; 10-11-2009 at 05:31 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Banned

I have a 1999 3.3L V6 and get 15 miles to the gallon (US) and I treat it like a baby.

Quick Reply: getting horrible gas mileage