Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodbye Old Friend

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 09:35 AM
Default Goodbye Old Friend

Well the time has come and I said farewell to my 98 GV this afternoon. Shes been a good old bus and we've had many adventures but the time had come to let her go. However, its not all sad as shes off to help support another ailing GV.

Sadly though I just wasn't able to find a replacement GV at the right price or close enough. The 3 that I looked at were simply overpriced and requiring just too much work.

So onward to something new, but here's a little video from her dash cam of the recent snow we had in England.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:30 AM

Sorry for you Vonhofinvule, no one likes to see a loved one go.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:17 PM

She seemed to cope well with the snow. I'm dreading the day I have to let mine go. Hopefully it wont be for a while yet. Let us know what you replace her with Vonhofinvule.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:53 AM

Thanks guys there was a lump in the throat when she left. But it was time, I'd had an issue earlier in the year with a garage which sealed her fate.

I'd put her in for a repair on the LPG/Propane system. Anyway long story short, I tried to contact them over and over but couldn't get a reply. Then got a call from a group of Receivers. The company had went bust and they wanted me to come get my van.

Well, to say I was shocked was an understatement. When I got there I found they'd dismantled the LPG, managed to crack the windshield, they had replaced the bonnet/hood. I know this because they'd replainted the new one with rattle cans and put the vents back on the new hood backwards. Also put almost 600 miles on her, which I think was down to them using my van to move stuff because she was also filthy inside.

Needless to say after this I couldn't get anyone to look at the LPG. although thankfully she was running fine on petrol so was still usable. I did however contact a lawyer but they said it was my word against theirs.

She was bought by a local dealer so not sure what he was going to do with it but guess he had a plan. Though I did remove the 18 inch alloys which I'll be advertising soon.

As for the snow she did really well. I did have snow tyres fitted so that helped through this bad week we had in the UK, but never once did I find myself concerned.

As I said I'd looked around for another GV but couldn't find anything in my price range that was worth looking at or for that close enough to get to. As I said a while back in another post I'm saving for a Ford F350 pickup. So really not wanting to spend a fortune, however, my cousin spotted a 2001 Mitsubishi L200 truck for sale locally and I went off to look.

It was one of THOSE rare deals. Same elderly owner for 15 years, he was a retired gamekeeper and it had been his work vehicle before that. Full service history, fully documented from day 1, and other than a few stone chips up front, a small ding just below a rear light and a UJ up front which I'll replace, its as straight as they come.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:45 PM

Sounds like you've found a once in a lifetime deal Vonhofinvule. Good Luck for the future.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:51 PM

Thanks but I still miss my GV.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:23 PM

I know the feeling..

I bought me a new van and now need to sell the GV... I will very much miss this car.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Vmaxxer
I know the feeling..

I bought me a new van and now need to sell the GV... I will very much miss this car.
Yeah as nice as it is to have something new, its often sad to see the old ones go. Just sold off my 18 inch wheels and was even sad to see them go.