Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Gran Caravan transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 01:14 PM
Default Gran Caravan transmission

Greetings,

I had my transmission redone a couple of thousand miles ago and when I got it back it and got 300 miles down the road it started grumbling when going into gear and grumbling/grabbing when say I slow down to about 20 and give it some gas it grumbles and jerks trying to find a gear. I have been babying it along. I dumped the pan and put in approved Type 4 ATF, though maybe that did not get it all as I could not get the rear cover off (apparently rebuilder did not either). It got a little better but not much.

I drove 250 miles to a new job today in easy traffic and it did OK. I drove three miles to lunch and it did OK. On the way back to work I had to stop at a light and felt it stalling down, then it released at the last second. When I got to the parking lot it was acting like the torque convert was locking. I put it in neutral and started it and it groaned and jerked into gear when I selected drive or reverse. I got it into a parking space but it stalled when I applied the brakes, something is locked/locking up. Don't suppose it is driveable and I don't know any mechanics in Charlotte, NC. Any ideas?

Thanks,
John

Old 01-27-2016, 01:36 PM

Hi John,

What do you mean when you say you had the transmission "redone"? Was it replaced? If so, was it done at a Chrysler dealership?

Old 01-27-2016, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

regardless of who or what was done Id contact who did it and let them look at it .

Old 01-30-2016, 06:21 AM

Like the guys say take it back. If your car was ok before the box repair look to them is a silly thing to say by my words. The box might be ok but if they fitted the old solenoids there might be a problem there that led to the repair. But it needs tested all needs tested. (Just hope its not wiring).

Old 02-01-2016, 04:37 PM

Thanks everyone. Sorry for late reply. Trying to get settled into new job in a new town....

The work was done by an independent jackleg. He is in Virginia and I am in NC and that was the situation when he did the repair. Since I wasn't in town to ride him he let it slide while he worked on other stuff. So taking it back to him would be a another long waste of time. I am just glad I told him I was short on cash and didn't pay the last $400 of the bill.

It seems the TC solenoid was acting up. Anyway I knocked something loos trying to get it out of the road and I could hear stuff spinning around in there for a day or two. Runs OK now except still grumpy shifting and groaning like brakes grabbing when going into gear.

I went to Corey's tranny shop here in Charlotte. They are a three generation business with lots of work for dealers, etc. He said he could rebuild it for $1500 or put an old one in for $900 but that he really couldn't warranty it for me if I was out of state. He said tranny work would be more than the whole van is worth and that in those years it just wasn't a top notch tranny to start with. He suggested I sell it for salvage. Only thing is that I put new tires on it the day before the tranny went nuts.

So I am going to ditch it.

Meanwhile an acquaintance has a garage kept 2005 PT Cruiser convertible with 125K miles on it for sale. Wants $4500 but that may be a bit high, especially since it is burgundy. What are PT Cruiser drive trains like? It is a 4 cyl automatic.

Thanks all,

John