Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Voyager 2.8 LTD XS 06 Reg

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Default Grand Voyager 2.8 LTD XS 06 Reg

Hi All,

i am hooping someone can offer some advice as in a previous post i mentioned we have just purchased a Grand Voyager we seem to be having intermittant starting issues, sometimes the car starts first time other times is take 2 or 3 goes to get it started

the battery and alternator have been tested and are working fine the car is still under 3 months warranty, after searching the internet I have found the correct way to start an automatic with foot on the break as i had never driven an automatic, i thought this solved it as started first time for a few goes but now it is intermittent starting

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Regards

John

Old 12-18-2013, 04:02 PM

Make sure the selector lever is pushed hard into "park". There is an inhibitor switch in park position which stops everything if not fully home. Could be dodgy/maladjusted. Or move it in and out of park a few times before trying a crank.
Also if you listen carefully, you can hear a relay "click" as you put your foot on and off the footbrake. If the relay is at all dodgy, it could inhibit a start. Pressing the footbrake on and off a few times before cranking might show something.

Leedsman.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:56 PM

Check the LP side of the fuel. Front centre of the engine just between the RAD and the ENGINE will be a diesel primer pump that looks a bit like this :

That primer pump **** should be hard to press before starting the engine, try it !, is it already hard ? If its not rock hard give it a half dozen press[es] then start the engine - does it now start first time ? If it does now start first time you have a problem with :

- fuel filter loose
- fuel filter water trap
- leak-back,etc

Let the group know how your low pressure diesel supply side performs.

NOTE01 :
the correct way to start an automatic with foot on the break
- I've never done this on my GV in my life, you can't move the lever out of PARK without pressing it, and ;
- you cant activate the inhibitor unless the IGN is on and the car disarmed - security feature

NOTE02 : Out in that lashing storm in the north east tonight, thank god for heated front seats and the AUX diesel heater

Last edited by QinteQ; 12-18-2013 at 06:03 PM. Reason: the correct way to start an automatic with foot on the break
Old 12-19-2013, 01:59 AM
tfb

When you say it wont start, is it turning over but not firing or is the engine not turning over at all?

Regards
Richard

Old 12-19-2013, 04:51 AM

thanks for the advice before work this morning i checked this and had to press it 4 times till it wouldnt push on any more, when o started the engine it turned over and started with 1 or 2 seconds, to answer tfb it turns over every time but just doesn't start

So the fact i needed to press it a few times what do i need to do next?

Regards

John

Old 12-20-2013, 02:24 AM
tfb

try it for a few days and make sure giving it a push cures the problem. If it does then you have an air leak in the fuel system.

Most likely culprit is the fuel filter housing, but it can be tested by splicing in a section of clear pipe into various places along the fuel lines to the high pressure pump and looking for air bubbles when the engine is running

Regards
Richard

Old 12-20-2013, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by discojohnno
thanks for the advice before work this morning i checked this and had to press it 4 times till it wouldnt push on any more, when o started the engine it turned over and started with 1 or 2 seconds, to answer tfb it turns over every time but just doesn't start

So the fact i needed to press it a few times what do i need to do next?

Regards

John
- under the car, drivers side front[ish] of the block is the spin-on filter you will need to take off the plastic undertray to see it
- first thing to eliminate is the spin-on canister & the water filter by simply turning each tight to the right with your fingers
- did either of them [the fuel filer is the silver bit and the water is the white bit] screw tighter ?
- if either of them were able to tighten up just a little go back to the hand priming pump and press it till its hard
- then start the engine and leave it running for 10 mins - switch off for an hour - then this time start the engine without priming
- what happens now ?

Don't replace the bottom cover till you are sure you have cured the problem we may need to move on to clear fuel hose and looking for air bubbles.