Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help I think I may have an electrical issue.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 04:02 PM
Default Help I think I may have an electrical issue.

I was driving back home and all of a sudden my van cutsout on me. I realized It was doing what I just fixed about 2-3 months ago. I started it again and the car was stumbling and misfiring,so I had to keep it in the 1000 RPM mark and slowly let off so it can catch it's normal RPMS and keep running. I tried driving the van and it would not increase the speeds above 40MPH. The van stumbled than it cutsoff. I tried to keep it running but it shutdown on me. I tried to start it up than It started it up right away. I thought about looking under the hood, I looked and I was looking for cracks or melting wires, I managed to look at the wires that were behind the ignition distribuator coil, The harness wires are probally shorted or melted or burned. I moved or wiggled the wire and the car cutoff imediatly. I tired starting it again and the car took a couple of cranks and It finaly started up. I than wiggled or moved the wires than the car cutsoff imediatly. I hope that some of you guys can help me here and tell what i will need to do from here on out and will I need new harness wires or I will need to get it looked at one wire at a time and a alot of money to invest. Thanks.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

look back there see if the wires are infact melted together if they are there is a repair kit jut for that connector 35 bucks

Old 04-17-2010, 05:55 PM

I was looking at the harness connector and I have not spotted any kinds of wires that were melted,but I do know that If I move the wires the car will cutoff. I am sure theres a short and can I found out by using a testing tool. If i am in need of repairkit can I get from the advanced auto or the dealership.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

only dealer u split apart the harness and looked for melted wires?

Old 04-22-2010, 07:04 PM

I was carefully looking for the damaged wires and I have spotted some burned or shorted wires. The pink wire was shorted and so was the brown and blue wires. I am sure there all shorted. I thought of a easy fix,It's just taping the harness to the power steering hose so It does not cutoff the engine's cycle when It's in use.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:57 PM

Seems a lot of electrical problems like I was having Check your battery. My 2005 is ridiculously sensitive to battery condition and will literally shutdown while driving (not safe) if my battery isn't in top shape. The cold cranking amp BS walmart type testers are NOT sufficient. If you have an older battery still under warranty , take it in alone and fight them on a replacement. Cold cranking amps (min) are not sufficient on these vehicles. Too bad Chrysler isn't up front about this problem.