Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed with conflicting info in service manual about P0700, P0740

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 04:34 AM
Question Help needed with conflicting info in service manual about P0700, P0740

I have the official service manual for my T&C *(which I downloaded from pdftown.com) but it seems to disagree with itself.

In the section "Transmission" it gives the following description for P0740:

Symptom:
P0740-TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH CONTROL CIRCUIT

Possible Causes:
RELATED DTC’S PRESENT
INTERMITTENT OPERATION
INTERNAL TRANSMISSION PROBLEM - TCC OUT OF RANGE
But in the section "Gas Powertrain" it gives this:

Symptom:
P0740-TORQ CONV CLU, NO RPM DROP AT LOCKUP (3SP AUTO
TRANS)

Possible Causes:

INTERMITTENT CONDITION
DTCS PRESENT
TRANSMISSION FLUID
TIRE AND WHEEL SIZE
FUSED IGNITION OUTPUT CIRCUIT
TCC SOLENOID
TCC ASSEMBLY OR TCC SOLENOID STUCK
TCC SOLENOID OPERATION
TEST ACTION
So far there is no indication that there is anything wrong when I drive the vehicle other than the check engine light and these two codes.

All I've done so far is to confirm that the transmission fluid looks okay (red) and level seems just a tad high.

So how can I tell which section of the manual I'm supposed to be looking?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-15-2016, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

its basically the same thing. over all you will need to replace the converter before it comes all apart and takes out the transmission itself. This is not electrical or anything in that nature. just a good old torque converter getting old.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:30 AM
Default For my info and the sake of others...

Thank you so much for your response. I mean no disrespect but I don't see how you ruled out the other possible causes such as the solenoid based solely on the information I gave. Could you please explain how you troubleshot so certainly? I mean I think you may be right but I would feel more confident if you explained how you came to the conclusion.

Perhaps if you answered the original question it would clear things up.

Again, I'm sure you are busy, so thanks so much for taking a few minutes to post your reply.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

sure no prob. First there is not any solenoid that controls the converter lock up its an RPM based locking system in the converter itself. The top read out you have printed is the correct one the lower one is not for this car. Honda ect will have its own TCC solenoid but a 41te transmission does not. Also have 20 years experience this is what happens. The converter clutches inside are not holding enough pressure so they come apart like sand paper then eject all that material into the fluid as is goes by then causing the seals and all the other had parts in teh trans to basically act as a pressure washer with sand in it imagine what that does. over time.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:58 PM

Thanks again Kevin.

My dash shows only P-R-N-3-D-L. Doesn't this mean that I have the 3 speed? If so, does that change anything? Or is Overdrive counted as a forward gear?

I've been reading up on this transaxle and it appears that it adjusts locking based on temperature:

"Three-speed automatics lock the converter in third and, if fluid temparatures are high, in second, to help cooling."
four-speed Chrysler automatic transmissions - development, descriptions, repairs
The service manual says that this can be thrown off if, among other things, the transmission fluid level is too high OR the customer drives too aggressively in low gear:

...Vehicles using calculated oil temperature track oil temperature reasonably accurate during normal operation. However, if a transmission is overfilled, a transmission oil cooler becomes restricted, or if a customer drives aggressively in low gear, the calculated oil temperature will be inaccurate. Consequently the shift schedule selected may be inappropriate for the current conditions...
I may have done a terrible thing, I don't know. I added a few ounces of this product a while back:

Lucas Oil Products ATF Conditioner 20 oz. 10441: Advance Auto Parts

My fluid shows a tad high on the dipstick. Also, my brother uses the van more than I do and I notice he takes off with a heavy foot.

Since the transaxle seems to have no perceptible problems should I try:

* replace fluid
* insist my brother lighten up on the peddle

?

Or am I dreaming?!

Thanks

Old 08-15-2016, 03:28 PM

And one last question... How much should replacing the Torque Converter cost, roughly? Thanks.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

a limited T and C will have a 4 speed.
non of what you did was an issue adding to much would be like half way up the stick and over flowing. The cost will be for r and r transmission. That u will need to look around your area your local shops. I can not give a quote for a job that I wont be doing.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:09 AM

Is "r and r" referring to "remove and repair" or "remove and rebuild"? I got a quote for replacing the TC and fluid for $650 but he said the trans would soon go if I just do that so I need a complete rebuild at $1500. This being a 2002 with 220k miles on it I'm inclined to just do the TC and fluid, unless that's stupid. Is the $650 going to work?

Old 08-16-2016, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

depends on how long you have had that code if it just came up should be good been driving it around for awhile then could have done some damage.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:02 PM

Thanks for ALL of your help!