Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Hi Powered LED bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 06:48 AM
Default Hi Powered LED bulbs

Just thought I'd drop this in here for anyone who is interested.

My drive is very dark and I've searched for a good high powered bulb for the reversing lights, because I didn't want to go with a couple of small spot lights on the rear. Well I've tried a few so-called high output LED bulbs over the years and they've all been a waste of money. However, got put onto these, see link below, and have to say they are great.

Yes a little pricey but the light output from them is what I've always been looking for.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100W-1156...72.m2749.l2649

Last edited by Vonhofinvule; 03-30-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:24 PM

"4) Power: 100W each bulb (1200 Lumens)"

100 W, yeah, right... I can't understand why they always boast about a fake power rating instead of the real amount of light. It is surely extremely bright, but the power (wattage) is certainly not 100 W. With 20 pcs of 3030 SMD LED diods they probably consume ~21 watts, just like an ordinary break bulb.

The problem with the Voyager tail light assembly is that the reversing light "compartment" is not exacly a good design. It eats almost all the light and only emits a fraction via the white plastic glass.

Good tip, finding good parts on eBay can be quite a task.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:35 AM

I too doubt the 100 Watt statement.

These may be very good bulbs, but I do not like it when they just plain boast like this.

Oh, by the way - since your normal bulb is 21W, and these are 100W, don't forget to tell your insurance company that you are pulling 8.33 Amps through a cable designed for 1.75 Amps...

Like VMdiesel I suspect the way they ensure the vehicle recognises that the bulb is good is by pulling 21W like a normal bulb. 21W from a CREE LED will certainly be brighter than an incandescent bulb, but the rest is BS.

If you have a multi-meter you can use, try measuring the Amps drawn by this bulb. Multiply your reading by 12 (the nominal volts of your battery) and that is the Wattage of the bulb...

~Trap

Old 04-15-2018, 11:10 AM

In all honestly the post was less about the specs and more about the fact that they are very good bulbs. There had been a post on here a year or two ago regarding a good upgrade for the reversing lights and LED bulbs were suggested. So when I found these I thought folks may be interested.

However, in reality its become common practice in auto lighting to quote a wattage to indicate an equivalent light volume as most people do not understand lumens.

Therefore these bulbs will probably consume around 20watts. This equates to approximately 1.44 amps, based on the standard 13.8v baseline which is used by most electronic manufacturers. So well within the capabilities of the vehicle systems.

Last edited by Vonhofinvule; 04-15-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:03 PM

AND, I thank you for posting of finding a good working part for such! Even here in the USA, our vans have rather poor brightness of back up (reversing) lights! Don't really care about "spec's", as long as they satisfy the job intended! I have owned these vans for almost 25 years and the dimness of those lights and in my perspective the low beam dimness of the headlamps have ALWAYS been wanting for upgrading! I have been hesitant all these years to go out and buy other bulbs for both ends due to cost and fear of them NOT performing any better than OE ! Thanks again for "posting up"!

Old 04-16-2018, 04:03 AM

@Vonhofinvule,

I understand your reasoning, and I am so sure these are good bulb replacements, I am going to order a pair.

I contacted the seller in the link above, and at first they confirmed they are indeed 100W. When I mentioned the danger, false advertising and Ebay they came back and said they had had an engineer check them, and they are indeed 21W drawing about 1.75 Amps at a nominal 12V.

You are right, it is sad that we have to dumb-down the advertising because people do not understand Lumens. In this case the manufacturer states the products features in a way which means the retailer does not understand what they are selling.

Even with the "Information Super Highway" knowledge is slow to spread.

~Trap

Old 04-16-2018, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by dewar
@Vonhofinvule,
I contacted the seller in the link above, and at first they confirmed they are indeed 100W. When I mentioned the danger, false advertising and Ebay they came back and said they had had an engineer check them, and they are indeed 21W drawing about 1.75 Amps at a nominal 12V.
Even with the "Information Super Highway" knowledge is slow to spread.

~Trap
Yes, most sellers on eBay and such only quote what others say... On the other hand, here in Sweden it's becoming more and more common to advertise lumens as LED, incandescent and low-energy bulbs produce vastly different amounts of light with the same power usage. I could easily accept "LED bulb as bright as 100 W halogen bulb" or similar in an eBay ad.

Back to the actual problem with the Voyager/T&C lights, I have swapped the bulbs in the high beam (H7 bulb in my 2007 CRD) for a 50 W HID/Xenon bulb. It gives a massive high beam (after the warm up delay) without having to mount aux lights. There is enough room to fit the electronics inside the assembly beside the reflector, so no need for extra cables through the housing. Sadly, that's not permitted with the low beam, and due to poor tolerances, it really isn't an option (too much blinding light for oncoming traffic). I was planning on doing the same with the reversing light. Imagine 50 W Xenon in each rev light

/Fredrik

Last edited by VMdiesel; 04-16-2018 at 04:47 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:09 AM

OK, it is VERY EARLY morning here, and just having my first cup of JAVA(coffee). Are you folks saying that for front beams, that you have dual bulbs for front headlights or single bulb(hi and lo) bulbs? Here in USA they have been the single combination(hi/lo) bulbs for eons.
Forgive me, but like I said...I am JUST getting up and about!

Old 04-16-2018, 07:04 AM

@Rebel59

Here is an image showing the two reflectors for the headlamp
https://ssli.ebayimg.com/images/g/kA...Az/s-l1600.jpg
Yes, we do have separate lamps.

@VMDiesel

I agree with the "same light as" - Ebay however is full of mis-leading information.

Do you have a link for the H7's you used?

~Trap

Old 04-16-2018, 07:21 AM

Well for once , at least this American envy's what you have over there! At least my current T&C has factory driving lights to help the low beam issue. All my previous vans had plastic fascia's that did NOT lend to adding such extra lighting! We have supposedly higher rated "combi bulbs", but as I say their added expense is dubious to any real gained brightness!

Quick Reply: Hi Powered LED bulbs