Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I track down a 'buzzing'

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 06:10 AM
Default How can I track down a 'buzzing'

About 80% of the time I turn the engine off I have a high pitched constant buzzing/whistle sound that lasts for four or five minutes then stops.

It may be happening when I'm driving but I'm not sure that I can hear it over the diesel noise.

I can't locate where it's coming from.

Any suggestions as to what the cause may be or any tests I could do.

The car seems to be running fine, I'm not aware of any issues atm.

Thanks

Old 12-13-2014, 07:27 AM

Read these threads then come back with questions :

It may be that you have an axillary heater, its a small diesel powered water heater under your front seat [which seat depends on stow & go type or not]. It comes on automatically, and when working will display three upward pointing arrows with a single horizontal line underneath them icon on the far RHS of the curved information bar above your steering wheel. The noise after you have switched off will be the Webasto heater winding down.

Winding down

- at switch off the pump stops delivering fuel to the heater
- but the heater has an egg cup sized reservoir already full
- this needs to be got rid of before the heater is switched on again
- the reservoir is emptied into the swirl bowl, the glow plug comes on and burns it, then the burner fan exhausts it into the atmosphere

Hope this helps your understanding !

Old 12-13-2014, 07:40 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Mine is stow and go and I have the axillary

Could this be connected with the fact that I've noticed the axilary heater light you describe stays on what seems to be a long time.

If I turn the main heating off and on again the light it stays off.

I'll read through the links you posted abd see if they give me a 'fix'

thanks

Old 12-13-2014, 11:52 AM

stays on what seems to be a long time
5 or 25 minutes, it takes as long as it takes to raise the water temp, you can give it an immediate workable assist by blanking between the grills with 3 [new shape (05+) GV] lengths of this, cut them at a 30° angle of chamfer and stuff them in.

- example its 1°C on an EVIC 8 minutes at 50 MPH with a radiator blank and no cabin heater
- example its 1°C on an EVIC 12 minutes at 50 MPH with a radiator blank and using the cabin heater
- example its 1°C on an EVIC 20 minutes at 50 MPH without a radiator blank and using the cabin heater

Old 12-13-2014, 07:23 PM

Or like i did (see pic), it works wonders on my 2002 GV
Today I went out driving 300 km on highway (about 5 Celsius outside)
Within 10 minutes I reach a good engine temperature and temp stays on first bar above the middle on the temp gauge at a constant speed of 130 km/h which seems perfect to me.

Attached Thumbnails How can I track down a 'buzzing'-2014-12-05-15.21.12.jpg  
Old 12-14-2014, 06:10 AM

Some are easy with pipe lagging £3 and 3 minutes to do, and in the event of an overheat less than 10 seconds to remove and reverse the mod :

Others such as yours 'Vmaxxer' would be a pain to do multitudes of tiny little radiator grill holes with my pipe lagging version :

Either way its done, as you say, it makes a huge difference to driver & passenger comfort, engine wear, and economy. Many will not know that their fuel consumption will be halved in the first 15 minutes driving in a diesel - blank and help you car to help you achieve comfort & more MPG.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:11 AM

Update on this

I used the foam pipe to fill in the grill gaps and the cabin heater light went out although the water temp gauge didn't rise.

Coming back on a motorway run both the heater light and the check engine light came on so I pulled into services and removed to foam.

The check engine light stayed on for the rest of the trip.
The next day the check engine light was intermittent as was the cabin heater light.
It seems to have settled down and I'm back to just the cabin heater light.

I did notice a significant increase ib the fuel consumption, up from 36mpg to 42mpg
Without the foam it's back to 36mpg - shame.

Could the foam cause an oil temp rise which there is no gauge for and cause the check engine light.

Is this cabin heater a 'luxury extra' or standard on all voyagers and can it be turned off, disconnected.

Thanks