Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Hydrogen fuel cells

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:28 AM

There's no way. you can't beat physics... and I should know I teach Physics and my brother has a Phd in Physics from U Cal Berk.

I've actually seen and drove one of these 'miracle' cars. they did NOT have any improvement in fuel milage. the ONLY people that make these claims are the ones that scam uneducated or are embarassed that they got screwed.

I can claim that my minivan gets 99mpg because the overhead console display told me that several times.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:45 AM

I built one of these, You just need a jam jar with a good sealing lid. a one way valve, some surgical tubing (or similar...model aircraft silicon tube works well), some copper or aluminium rods, water and bicarb of soda.

The principal is pass an electric current through the water and hydrogen is created via electrolysis. The separate hydrogen and oxygen atoms are then drawn into the combustion chamber via the inlet manifold where they combust (well the hydrogen does anyway) to release energy and the atoms recombine to form water once again.

( you can actually increase the amount of available oxygen further by the addition of a popular model aircraft fuel additive. However for those of you who know which one I am talking about, it does create trace amounts of nitric acid. However due to the oily nature of diesel this is not a problem. If using in a petrol then the addition of an upper cylinder lubricant helps. This is off topic but interesting if you wish to play)

You do need to make a decent bracket to mount whatever container you choose to use and ensure you insulate the rods from one another WELL otherwise your battery will short out big time and cause a fire. You could use a regulator to bring down the 12V to 6V and make it a bit safer but then the rate of hydrogen production will be reduced as well.

Personally I never tested the MPG gains it was just an interesting experiment for my kids. However just to comment on the note about physics above Whilst I may not be a physics teacher I am an engineer. Whilst you cannot deny the physical nature of moving a vehicle i.e. the forces that the engine needs to overcome there is a direct correlation between the energy yield (calorific content) of the fuel and the amount needed to do work.

If for example 10ml of fuel has a calorific yield of say 1000joules upon combustion and can move a car say 100 metres

then it follows that 10ml of fuel that has a calorific yield of 2000joules upon combustion will move the car twice the distance.

As such your fuel economy is doubled.

Now clearly I am just using thumb suck figures but you get the idea.

Last edited by glowplug; 09-22-2009 at 03:32 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:21 PM

Hydrogen fuel cell technology is still in the developmental stages. It's a clean chemical process which produces electricity, and in turn powers an electric motor.

Injecting hydrogen into an internal combustion engine is not fuel cell technology.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

As I said we put it on a 95 dodge neon I used this that gave instant MPG not using the over head

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ScanG...motiveQ5fTools

works like a charm will go to any car or truck and show u are u press the gas what U get at that TPS and speed and so on. I made my own not using the same design as what was posted used all metal for the inner workings and not plastic due to the heat I made.

It will displace some of the air mixture going into teh intake and displace that with what 14.7 to 1 is so the total burning process the car uses less fuel because of the amount of air and fuel mix is different. No one is beating physics it being used U dont run the car totally on browns gas its adding to it understand? If u wanna get down to the nitty gritty ask some questions.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:57 AM
Banned

I have bitten the bullet and am going to fit one to my 1999 3.3l Grand Voyager.

I have one question though - do I need a Maf/Map enhancer to adjust the mixture - is it even possible on this car?

Once fitted I plan on doing a fixed journey with the unit on and then off and will post results

Old 10-26-2009, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

try it it with out one first then see what U get. oh guess what my son got a boys life last month and oooo it had future prototype cars in there green cars so to speak.
one had this style of system on it more refined but same basic idea.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:53 PM

I've been looking into this also. There are some great HHO kits out there. I have been following this guys videos and he seems to have done a lot of trial and error with the technology. #35) HHO Under Acceleration - YouTube
The way gas prices are going I want to fit one to my wife's 05 Pacifica. If I go ahead with it I'll let you all know how it goes.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

For a Chrysler u will need the EFFIE to dial down the o2 sensors because the HHO makes O2 and the PCM will adj anything the HHO makes back to 14.7 to 1 fuel mix.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:46 PM

Yes, if you don't mind me putting up links, this is a company that I may purchase the electronics from HHO hydrogen Electronics and pwm mind you I am still in the research stage. Any input on this would be great or if anyone has used a product that really worked for them, I would love to hear it. You definitely need to modify your sensors or HHO will really screw up your mileage and leave
you frustrated if you don't know what your doing.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

I have a dry cell on my 96 neon I see the fuel adaptive s work when i switch it on then after a few min the computer just puts them back to where they were to start with this is why I need to get the EFFIE installed not having time to mess with it just yet.
Here is a site that sells them and also provides u with the info on how that stuff works.
Dual Digital EFIE - $79.00 : FuelSaver-MPG Inc. This is more then likely what u need unless u have 4 o2 sensors then there is a duel EFFIE they have

Quick Reply: Hydrogen fuel cells