Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydrogen fuel cells

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 03:54 PM

man I hate that you can not edit posts here you have to just make a new post.

the one issue is air fuel ratio. that's important. if your mileage is largely from "leaning out" then you don't need the HHO to do that.

problem is you can't use the A/F from the ECU since your TRICKING that.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

A/F? and it wont be leaking out the system it will be adjusting it back down to normal operating mix when using the HHO

Old 04-25-2012, 07:31 PM

yes air fuel ratio. since your going to mess with the O2 sensor your going to mess with the A/F ratio. so what the ECU reports won't be accurate since your "altering" the O2 data.

ie if your "end result" is a lean burn then "THAT" is where your gains are coming from.

if you "lean out" the gasoline but the A/F out the tail pipe indicates 14.7 to 1 then that means the "difference" between ECU altered reporting and the actual out the tailpipe is the hydrogen IE its working.

but if the gases out the tailpipe indicate lean then its not the hydrogen. your just running lean which will increase your cylinder temps maybe damage things etc.. etc.. either way it will be the lean burn giving you the savings not the hydrogen.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

it wont damage anything U cant mess with the air amount only fuel

Old 04-26-2012, 12:06 AM

lean burn can most definitely "damage" things. start getting some detonation and knocking going and you will learn quickly the potential for damage that exists if its not managed carefully.

not saying this will happen but its "on the tablet" so to speak and needs to be considered depending on how hard you push the lean burn.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

what are your quantification in this matter? What training and or schooling do u have?

Old 04-26-2012, 04:01 PM

I have a HHO system and plan to fit it to my voyager. It was originally fitted to my last car a Mercedes E230. I used a Lambda spacer and had the map sensor adjustable to lower the fuel intake. To correct the rich/lean problem. The dry cell that I used took a while to set up to give off the right amount of Hydrogen. It ran at 40 amps Max. You will never be able to run a car purely on Hydrogen because it's highly volatile and to compress the gas may make your car a Hydrogen Bomb. The Hydrogen gas bonds it's self to the unburned fuel in the compression chambers and gives it a more even burn and uses all the the unspent fuel therefore creating a bigger bang and more efficient. By using all the fuel you in effect need to use less fuel from your tank. You need to fool the cars ecu because when you make Hydrogen, the by-product is oxygen. If the Lambda sensor picks up the excess oxygen, it adds more fuel thus defeating the object of saving fuel.

Diesels run better on Hydrogen than petrol as they waste more fuel than petrols.

When running a car on Hydrogen, I found that the car ran smoother and had more response.

I managed to go from 30mpg to 55mpg on my 2.3ltr petrol Merc.

The emissions when tested were running cleaner than a Fiat 500.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:27 PM

when you burn hydrogen the product is water not oxygen?

when you add more oxygen and it adds more fuel you will get more power and now need "less throttle" which should balance things out rather nicely.

in reality your adding such a miniscule quantity of oxygen its just not going to notice it. your not even increasing the O2 content by 1/4 of 1% probably a lot less.

the idea that it helps the car burn the gasoline better IS interesting. I could see that being an issue on carbbed cars and maybe even TBI's I am surprised its needed on an MPFI style rig though.

Be sure to report back your results please!

Old 04-28-2012, 05:45 AM

When you produce the Hydrogen, you do get a bit of water but most of it is Hydrogen and Oxygen as water is made from 2 parts Hydrogen and 1 part Oxygen.

Before I made my dry cell I spent months researching into this as I thought it was a scam. Most of the places that sell you HHO kits tell you that you can save fuel and give you the impression that you will be running on Hydrogen or water alone. The time I spend on looking into this must have made my family go mad.

I'm not a scientist so can't tell you the amount of Hydrogen or Oxygen produced. I just kept on experimenting with how much catalyst I added until the car ran smoothly, turning down the amount of fuel with the map sensor and watching how much amps the system was pulling.

Everywhere I looked when researching, stated that more Oxygen was produced and that the cars computer would act on this. I tried this by running the car without the map adjuster and the spacer and found that the car smelt richer and I could watch the fuel gauge move. When replacing the map and spacer, it was noticeable how much better the car was running and the gauge didn't move as fast. The exhaust tailpipe used to be black but within a couple of months of running a dry cell, it was clean.

I understand that I would be very hard to run a carb car on Hydrogen as you don't have a computer to run the fueling.

I don't know if you have made one to try but don't spend on plans or Buying one. I can send you plans.

I did find that in winter, the car seemed to 'smoke' on cold mornings but that was because of the steam/water produced being warmer than the air outside.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:31 PM

yes 2 parts hydrogen 1 part oxygen. but this is deceptive.

by VOLUME its 20% hydrogen 80% oxygen. ie not as much hydrogen as people thing. (many think its 66% hydrogen 33% oxygen)

what you get is H2 and O2 the H readily combines with itself ot make H2 and the O combines with ambient O to make O2

actually a carb car would be EASIER. no computer to putz with and it does not care if you add more O2

Adding more O2 does not make the computer add more fuel.

more O2 in the tail pipe can make the computer add more O2

but the amount of O2 you add is equal in "combo" quantity to the amount of H2 you add.

when you burn it the result is water. ie there is no extra O2 in the tail pipe because its "combined" with the H2. the o2 sensor (which is the only thing that will tell the computer to add more fuel) does not "see" water. so it does not care.

ie you should "NOT" need to putz with the computer to make h2 injection work.

if you truly do have more O2 for whatever reason and this does cause the O2 sensor to report such to the ECU what will happen is you will get more fuel.

this means you will get more power (remember 14.7 to 1 will be maintained)

you will "surge" and do what comes naturally. you will lift your foot of the gas.

ie you will naturally take care of the additional power.

its not "enrichment" since the system will maintain 14.7 to 1 and H2 is just a fuel not unlike gasoline as far as the engine is concerned.

some people say but wait. H2 does not produce the same "byproducts" as Gasoline when burned and this will cause the ECU to see an imbalance and "richen" the mixture.

this seems logical only until you once again realize what the sensor is called.

O2 sensor. o2 is all it measures. it does not measure carbon byproducts or exhaust gases. it ONLY measures O2. that is it. that is all it can see.

so unless burning hydrogen makes a bunch of excess O2 (and it does not) this is simply not a problem.

basically IF you can make enough H2 you COULD see an improvement in fuel economy since your engine will more than happily burn the H2 without argument.

I question whether you can see a gain using the alternator. YOU CAN with a battery pack but again I calculate the gain will be so tiny you will have trouble measuring it.

am I missing anything?

Quick Reply: Hydrogen fuel cells