Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Idle dies and/or surges

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Default Idle dies and/or surges

Hi, new to the forum but have a 2003 T&C Limited 3.8L. The van will sometimes die at a light or other times idle normally and then all of a sudden surge ahead which obviously scares the wife with grandkids in the van. A couple years ago the dealer replaced the idle module but the problem is still happening. Is it possible for a novice to replace this module again or do you think it is another problem.? Any help appreciated.

Don

Old 05-11-2010, 04:43 PM

Anybody??

Old 05-11-2010, 06:10 PM

I would double check on the name of the part replaced and ask again. Today's throttle bodies have a bypass valve that is controlled by the brain for idle. There is no such thing, or will ever be such a thing as an idle module. Check back.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:43 AM

That is not true many cars have an Idle Control Valve and in the case of the Chrysler this is called the Idle Air Control Motor and on many cars (most in fact) Idle speed is now a function of the ECU. The days of an idle set screw are disappearing as fly by wire systems become more common.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Unhappy

Thanks for the replies. The dealership who did the work (who was also close to where I live) of course did not survive the economic downturn so getting info out of them would be difficult. This is also the dealership that kept telling me that there was no problem with my transmission which was slipping at mileage 77,000 on an 80,000 mile warranty. Amazing the tranny blew at 81.000 miles. Sorry ranting OT.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot the current idle problem without taking it to a dealer or am I out of luck?

Don

Old 05-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

any codes in the computer?

Old 05-13-2010, 08:50 AM

Where would that show up? The normal overrhead display for mileage, tire pressure etc. or up on the dash dispaly ie " change oil etc" ( or do you have a hook a computer up somewhere?) The only thing that shows up on the overhead display is " Tire Pressure Sensor needs service" but that has only shown up recently and the idle problem has been going on for a while.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

yes need a scanner hooked up to it to get the codes
if the software is in there U can do the key on key off trick and it will display where the miles are then say DONE

Old 05-13-2010, 02:21 PM

You can get generic OBD scanners off ebay. Any petrol car manufactured after 2000 is OBDII compliant meaning that you can read all engine codes using a generic tool. Only dealer specific codes e.g. ABS and AIR/CON are excluded.

Over here in Europe where diesel cars are very common we have an issue that they only became OBDII complaint after 2004 which means if, like me, you have an earlier model you either learn the secret OBD method (which is NOT the same as on the petrol vans) or you have to take it to Chrysler.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:53 AM

Thanks Chrysler Tech and Glowplug for the adivcd. I'll try the key of and on and see if that works, otherwise I will take it to my son-in-laws brother who has a little shop and probably has the scanner and post my findings when I do. Thanks again.
Don

Quick Reply: Idle dies and/or surges