Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifting 2008 Minivan.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 01:13 AM
Default Lifting 2008 Minivan.

Hello; I am new to this Chrysler forum. I am not new to Chrysler vehicles. I have a 1990 Grand Voyager LE. It has been an amazingly usefull vehicle. I have kept it running strong mechanically, while keeping up the body as well as possible, here in Pittsburgh. Itis no longer desirable for use as a daily running vehicle. I am extremely interested in buying a new one. I have been very dissapointed with the Chrysler minivans for quite a few years, definately while under Diamler. The reasons have pertained soley to the mechanics and style of the vehicle, not to any kind of self-centeredAmerican nationalism. The new 2008 minivan seems to be a break from this. I looked at afew (available near me inPgh. dealerships) this week. I was impressed. I have some questions about this new model. I wonder if anyone has yet had the opportunity tohave asked the same questions and found answers. My main questionconcerns general service. Can the 2008 minivan, due to its redesigned front crossmember (the part that used to be the K-frame member) be lifted with a floor jack under the crossmember? This can not be done on the previous models that had the upside-down Ushaped front crossmember. That statement begs the aside question: Does anyone know why that crossmember was used? I would respect its use, ifthere wasa good reason for it. The rear of the 2008 probably can not be safely lifted under the rear "axle". This is a U-channel, not the pipe beam as on my 1990. I have no use for Stow-and-Go, but I certainly see how other people do. It has been the hauling ability, in an inclosed body (unlike a pickup truck with a tarp), and the ability to take a 4X8 sheet, that has been of fantastic value to me. The 3.3 with the A604 (41TE) hassupplied plenty of power for me;I assume that it would stilldo sofor 2008. I have not test driven it yet. I will not know if I am comfortable with the shifter on the dash until actually driving it.This isa safer place for it, and it is not mechanically better or worse than on the floor, because the manual shift sector on the transaxleisso far awayregardless, in a typical front wheel drive setup. Rear wheel drive is a totally differentsituation. The ignition key is on the dashboard!! My goodness, what will theythink ofnext?Where was it on old cars? Of course the reason for this is not the same, I'm being sarcastic. It is nowthe case thatdirect mechanical interlocks are no longer necessary for vehicle security, and that the electronic lockouts can do the job. Furthermore, removing as much as possible from the steeringcolumn allows thewheel to becloser to the dash, thus increasingthe distance from the driver, for crash survivability, within the scope of reasonable design. However, Ido have my reservations about the amount of features being put onsteering wheels. It is a matter of opinion that this is better than not doing so. I contend that a single horn, or a few spoke buttons for the horn, is enough. I wish that the 2008 had a 4 spoke wheel. Perhaps they will add it, but the cruise control stalk might have to be relocated todo it. Chrysler must have spent a tremendous amount of capital to make these 2008 changes. The major redesign changeslook like changes for the better. I will report on test driving as soon as possible.