Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Looking to Buy 01

Old 07-04-2014, 03:26 PM
Default Looking to Buy 01

Hello Group
I had a 89 Caravan (2.2 Turbo) briefly about 14 years ago and a 99 Chrysler T&C about 6 years that I bought as a project (body damage) and kept for a few years before giving it to my FIL but now looking to take a trip and comparing the rental prices for a week for a mini or full size van to used prices (2k-3k) I am considering buying an 01+ one instead. I saw a 01 (AWD with 98K miles) one because I like the newer front look compared to my 99. What are some of the issues? What kinds of mpg's can I expect on the highway. IIRC I could get 24+ mpg on my 99 with cruise set at 65 mph. Can the middle row of captains seat be temporarily replaced with a (2nd or 3rd row) bench so I can carry more kids on the trip?

Thanks

Old 07-05-2014, 01:40 PM

As to the seats see conversion on 02nd of this month. Other bits żou want to know have been on here quite recently, like you are likely to get 34mpg from 2.5CRD. On issues yet again read backwards, handbrakes, reluctance of starting when warm, not starting, electrical glitches, brakes binding and clunking front ends...Too many words to explain, read and you will self identify faults as they appear. This is a really good, comfortable car that has owners pulling their hair out and garages rubbing their hands when faults come up. But all the answers are on here....Enjoy...

Old 07-06-2014, 04:53 AM

And with a 2.5crd I found that you need to check if the timing belt and clutch have been replaced recently when up or over 200.000 km
I am experiencing it myself now and heard many owners get rid of their car at that mileage to avoid that obligated but expensive maintenance.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:32 AM

Ok I'll check for the seat conversion thread. I'm looking at the ones with the 3.3L or 3.8L engine so I haven't heard about a 2.5CRD (engine right???)
What are you referring to when you say "handbrakes"? What types of electrical glitches? Is this still a good year to buy? I rode in one with folding in seats and they didn't seem as comfortable for me as the ones without collapsing seats.

Originally Posted by goggs
As to the seats see conversion on 02nd of this month. Other bits żou want to know have been on here quite recently, like you are likely to get 34mpg from 2.5CRD. On issues yet again read backwards, handbrakes, reluctance of starting when warm, not starting, electrical glitches, brakes binding and clunking front ends...Too many words to explain, read and you will self identify faults as they appear. This is a really good, comfortable car that has owners pulling their hair out and garages rubbing their hands when faults come up. But all the answers are on here....Enjoy...

Old 07-06-2014, 01:00 PM

The GV. is no different than any other car when it's second-hand -- you're going to need spares sooner or later -- in my case it was sooner (a radiator and thermostat job right away after acquiring). You'll find parts are as expensive as Jaguar or BMW., unless you have a special source. Dealers are few and far between.

2.5CRD = 2.5litre Common-Rail-Diesel. These engines are made by VM Motori and are the same as in London Taxis. Looked after, they will do an enormous mileage.

Goggs has told you all the common problems with GVs. This website is a Godsend for GV. owners; I would say it beats the 'professionals' when it comes to diagnosis. With an old GV you are very likely to have to spend money fixing it up, so bear in mind the vehicle you are looking to buy could be an "economic write-off". So don't pay a lot for an old one/very hi-miler, especially a petrol.

On the other hand...
This motor is VERY comfortable, and has the seat "stow-away" feature, turning the GV. literally into a proper van -- great for shifting furniture. It is so big you could sleep in it at a pinch, thus saving hotel costs. The side windows are heavily tinted to give you a bit of privacy too.

As they weigh 2.2tonUK or 2.4tonUS, a petrol one is going to be thirsty, hence the popularity of the two diesels, 2.5litre and 2.8litre. There is a third diesel on the latest ones, a 3litre V6 with piezo-electric injectors, which will give some performance.

So when you spend your heard-earned on a GV, have written down everything you can pick up here and check it out at point of sale. Just keep in mind people often get shot of a car when it needs a lot of money spending on it.

Leedsman.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:11 PM

Here we just have 3.3L and 3.8L gas engines available on the years of Town and Country that I am considering. I have also looked at a few Grand Voyagers and they seem to have the same engine choices. Over here we are WAY behind on diesel engines in small cars and minivans. I wanted one that didn't have the stow away seating which came out in 2005 so it seems that my selection will be from 2001-2004. I considered radiator, water pump, alternator, starter checks/replacement and of course the tune up and fluid changes in engine, trans, coolant system and braking system. But other than that I wanted to know what are some specific problems with this model in these years.
Originally Posted by Leedsman
The GV. is no different than any other car when it's second-hand -- you're going to need spares sooner or later -- in my case it was sooner (a radiator and thermostat job right away after acquiring). You'll find parts are as expensive as Jaguar or BMW., unless you have a special source. Dealers are few and far between.

2.5CRD = 2.5litre Common-Rail-Diesel. These engines are made by VM Motori and are the same as in London Taxis. Looked after, they will do an enormous mileage.

Goggs has told you all the common problems with GVs. This website is a Godsend for GV. owners; I would say it beats the 'professionals' when it comes to diagnosis. With an old GV you are very likely to have to spend money fixing it up, so bear in mind the vehicle you are looking to buy could be an "economic write-off". So don't pay a lot for an old one/very hi-miler, especially a petrol.

On the other hand...
This motor is VERY comfortable, and has the seat "stow-away" feature, turning the GV. literally into a proper van -- great for shifting furniture. It is so big you could sleep in it at a pinch, thus saving hotel costs. The side windows are heavily tinted to give you a bit of privacy too.

As they weigh 2.2tonUK or 2.4tonUS, a petrol one is going to be thirsty, hence the popularity of the two diesels, 2.5litre and 2.8litre. There is a third diesel on the latest ones, a 3litre V6 with piezo-electric injectors, which will give some performance.

So when you spend your heard-earned on a GV, have written down everything you can pick up here and check it out at point of sale. Just keep in mind people often get shot of a car when it needs a lot of money spending on it.

Leedsman.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:00 PM

Do they have Gas Conversions in USA I wonder..

Old 07-07-2014, 04:23 PM

They only list Ethanol FLV or Petrol [gasoline] on American ebay. Here's a list for 2000-2005 inclusive a further search revealed not one single diesel.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by goggs
Do they have Gas Conversions in USA I wonder..
The simple answer is yes; in fact the 3.3 and 3,8 engines were designed with propane/LPG in mind. If I'm not mistaken New York State and several other states required all service vehicles such as taxi's to run on propane therefore as Grand Voyagers/Caravan are or were used extensively as taxi's and at airport so they were designed with this in mind.

rowekmr: all the main issues have been covered but something I would suggest is to look at where you will be doing most of your diving and what you'll be hauling. I've spent a lot of time in Virginia and whist there, had access to both a 2002 3.3 and late 2001 3.8 and gas mileage varied significantly depending on what I was doing and where. Now around town (coastal areas Virginia Beach, etc) with a lot of stop start driving I was averaging about 15ish mpg in the 3.8 and 18ish in the 3.3. Freeways the 3.3 was at times nearing 24+ with around 21 for the 3.8.

However, the big difference was when heading west up into the Appalachians, I found the 3.8 was much better returning an average of about 17 to 19 mpg compared to the 3.3's 11 to no more than 15mpg, similar story when when loaded up, the 3.8 was better. So I'd look at your usage and then decide from there as to the engine size.

Though personally I prefer the 3.8, it is by far the nicest of the Grand Voyagers/Caravans to drive, that extra power really does make a difference on long journeys or when hauling heavy loads.. Thats was why when I returned the the UK I went looking for a 3.8, however ended up with the 3.3 because I found a very nice one with LPG/Propane conversion. LPG/Propane is considerable cheaper here than gasoline or diesel.

Last edited by Vonhofinvule; 07-14-2014 at 08:27 AM.