Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lost for ideas on fault please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Default lost for ideas on fault please help!

Even the garage is confused over what to do next and im just fed up and sorry I ever bought the bloomin thing
I have replaced the starter plugs, replaced the starter motor, replaced the battery, but I still have the ongoing fault where I can drive it for a day or two, use it come back out 10 mins later and it will just not turn over, but each time as soon as it has had the jump leads on it starts straight away, and will continue to go for another few days, until again stopping and needing to be jumped.
The gear box is also really stiff on it and since the fault above has been making a shuddering and the engine sounds like its ragging its nuts out and then stalls.I have had this removed recently as there was also an oil leak (which is still leaking but im told there must be a pocket of oil somewhere because they have fixed the leak and it will eventually run out)
Any ideas would be most gratefully appreciated

Old 03-09-2009, 03:46 PM

Difficult without being able to look at it. Does it turn over slow and then faster when jumped? Has both battery cables been tested for poor connections voltage drops?

Old 03-09-2009, 05:22 PM

Has the charging system been tested? The cables area a good place to start. Maybe you have the infamous GM hot start where the solenoid get too hot after the car sits for a few, then the voltage drop is too much to overcome. On my GM (Chevy 454), I had to wait untile the truck cooled down or I did not shut it off for those brief moments. I ended up buying a super insulated solenoid for the starter and that solved my problem. Even though it had a hear shield, apparently it was not enough. What year do you have? What size motor?

Old 03-10-2009, 03:30 AM

Based on your use of the word bloomin and the fact you have a manual I am making the assumption that you are perhaps British. If this is the case please could you advise exactly what model you have, petrol or diesel and what year (I am suspecting it's a diesel)

Old 03-10-2009, 04:15 AM

Hi thanks guys for taking the time i will mention all these to my mechanic,
Glowplug how did you guess! i have the Grand voyager 2001 2.8 SE. i have had this on going oil leak and im wondering if this is something to do with the gear box feeling rough. i just feel as a woman the garages dont take you seriously but this has cost me a fortune so far, and i feel like scraping the thing.

taking the car to work this morning, it almost spluttered and failed but then caught into life. so im stumped

Old 03-10-2009, 08:13 AM

These cars are well known for oil leaks from the crankshaft seal. This is a seal that is at the back of the engine but hidden by the gearbox and cannot be replaced unless the gearbox has been replaced. In other words expensive if you take it to a main dealer.

As for the gearbox, well it could be the clutch not disengaging but they are rubbish gearboxes and well known for failing, primarily due to the oil not being changed regularly. Phone Chrysler UK with your chassis number as there was a gearbox recall on some early 2001- models. Check that yours has been done if it is one of the affected. However having said that it is not uncommon for them to be notchy. A good sign of the box failing is if you find it tough to change from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd and back down again.

As for the spluttering that could be anything but a good service may be on the cards. Water in the fuel filter is another issue with diesels. A dirty fuel filter or fuel tank pick up gauze is another. Unfortunately as a woman, and I hope you excuse the expression, you are going to be screwed by garages. There are very few ethical ones out there (my apologies to the genuinely honest ones).

With regard to the starter motor not working are you SURE the starter was changed. It sounds like it could be something referred to as the solenoid. This is an electro magnet that, when you turn the key engages, pulls back hard and makes contact with a positive feed to drive power to the actual starter motor. If your battery is a bit weak and the solenoid contacts are dirty it may not be making sufficient contact. The addition of another battery boosts current (NOT VOLTAGE) and this can overcome the dirt and poor connectivity.

Alternatively it could be a bad earth between the battery and the engine or that so much oil has been thrown up into the starter motor housing and has mixed with dirt that it is now causing the starter motor gear to stick (but again you say it was changed ???) It might also be worthwhile just taking the contacts off the battery and cleaning them with a mix of bicarb of soda and hot water. Then put some Vaseline on the battery terminals and then put the contacts back on.

I hope you understand these are only best guesses based on the symptoms BUT what I can honestly say is that a Chrysler Voyager is NOT the car for a mum with kids. You want a reliable people carrier then the Toyota Previa (old shape, heavy on gas though), Fiat Ulysse, Peugeot 806 or 807, Citroen Synergie or C8, Ford Galaxy/VW Sharan/Seat Alahmbra (ONLY the diesels). If you only need 6 seats then Fiat Multipla, Toyota Picnic but not the Voyager.

Last edited by glowplug; 03-10-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:51 PM

Hi
Post the last 8 of your VIN number here and I will check for recalls I can also get the vehicle info from that as you told me different when you posted about the oil leak.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Merlin
Hi
Post the last 8 of your VIN number here and I will check for recalls I can also get the vehicle info from that as you told me different when you posted about the oil leak.
Can you check mine also please? - number is 1U111958

Old 03-10-2009, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by actd
Can you check mine also please? - number is 1U111958
Done, No recalls out standing on yours at this time.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Merlin
Done, No recalls out standing on yours at this time.
Thats good - I think. Thanks Merlin - looks like I'm stuck with the gearbox as it is. Goes in to my local mechanic this weekend for a service including gearbox oil change, so if I'm lucky, it will improve (stiff change when cold at moment) - if not, I can live with it.

Quick Reply: lost for ideas on fault please help!