Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR Wheel Speed Sensor (ABS) 2007 Chrysler

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 12:00 AM
Question LR Wheel Speed Sensor (ABS) 2007 Chrysler

1D4GP24R37B261414 https://www.dmv.org/vehicle-history/vin-decoder.php
2007 Grand Caravan 3.3L V6 Cyl. OHV Gasoline

I am a newbe trying to clean my left rear wheel speed sensor. I jacked up the car under the rear of the frame upon which the shocks are attached and removed the wheel. [I have not removed the brake calipers or rotor at this point.] I noticed the sensor in the picture connected to what should be the end of something tubular. It looks like a wheel speed sensor to me but is not where I was expecting it.

I see a place it fits but it won't stay in when I push it on. It appears to lack a pressure ring to keep it in place.

What is this sensor? And how do I attach the cap it is attached to? Should I duct tape it on? Where does the arrow need to point?

I notice that the inside of the cap has an arrow which appears to be directly under the sensor and pointing toward the center of the cap. The light didn't let me get a better picture but if needed I'll try tomorrow in better daylight.

And finally, do I need to remove the rotor to get at the wheel speed sensor?

Thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y93h8jvdlh...84034.jpg?dl=0

Old 05-10-2018, 04:56 AM

Sorry to double post but the van was jacked up... This is the response I got on another forum:

That indeed is the speed sensor housing, and it should be integral to the bearing hub assembly. AFAIK, it should be permanently affixed to the hub and not come off - ever. Well, unless it breaks. You could try finding some type of epoxy adhesive that would bond it back to the hub, but if the back of the hub has been exposed to the elements, the life of the bearing may be compromised and I'd recommend replacing the whole hub assembly. ~$40-$50 at RockAuto. - Doug

Old 05-10-2018, 06:04 AM

That is pretty much CORRECT, in the the tone ring that the sensor reads from is integral with the wheel bearing hub. The sensor plugs into that , as you have seen. The yellow snap "cap" is a safety latch, once that is removed there is a spring clip that has to be removed (from the underside of the harness connection). There is an O ring seal that is on the sensors end that plugs into the back of the wheel hub that with a little wiggling will allow you to slide out the actual sensor.
Unless the mounting base on the back of the bearing hub is damaged, there should not be a need to replace the hub, which is a bear to replace. as the caliper, rotor have to come off. and the hub mounting bolts are a tight area to get to to remove/reinstall. NOT knowing your location, certain RUST prone areas of world will make that job all the harder.
Hope this helps and good luck!