Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MOT next Week and ABS is lit on Dash.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 07:28 AM

Well the thing is QinteQ, I did fit them myself last year, going through the old process of checking the binding rate of the shoes from no bind to fully on, as the handbrake is gradually clicked up.
Its about 6 clicks to fully on which gives a good running clearance. All other cars with braking shoes I have had, have been less, about 4 clicks. So it looks like I need a new set of shoes every year and remove the corrosion damage from inner drum.
As too Leedsman's answer to score it up abit, well it is scored now. Flap disc may be a help to take pitting out of surface.
Await MOT test today as to handbrake efficiency.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by goggs
Well the thing is QinteQ, I did fit them myself last year, going through the old process of checking the binding rate of the shoes from no bind to fully on, as the handbrake is gradually clicked up.
Its about 6 clicks to fully on which gives a good running clearance. All other cars with braking shoes I have had, have been less, about 4 clicks. So it looks like I need a new set of shoes every year and remove the corrosion damage from inner drum.
As too Leedsman's answer to score it up abit, well it is scored now. Flap disc may be a help to take pitting out of surface.
Await MOT test today as to handbrake efficiency.
- they are a pig to get right, I've made several posts on it, ditto Leedsman

The thing I don't get is a pair of shoes can only be 'ground off', and - that's virtually impossible on a stationary car no matter how badly the surface is scored. A badly scored and pitted surface will give a reduction in braking efficiency not an increase in shoe wear.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:12 PM

Anyway today, car passed MOT..JUST..
There was no issue on handbrake performance, not brought up.
One Issue was on rear lamp with faded yellowing, must be blinker repeater.
Another issue was with offside dip beam light going out of position, not up down, possible lamp defect.
Real problem they had was emissions, they could only give it a just pass with a recommendation for injector clean. So what Cleaner...Heard this before somewhere....Aghhh on here...No swabbling boys onto what's the best one...

So when weather gets better still need to change brake cables, and clean out rear brake shoe area with new shoes.
Plus Service of engine oil, oil fuel filters, Alternator belt tensioner and Aux belts. This ringing noise around Aux belt area is beginning to annoy me.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
Anyway today, car passed MOT..JUST..
There was no issue on handbrake performance, not brought up.
One Issue was on rear lamp with faded yellowing, must be blinker repeater.
Another issue was with offside dip beam light going out of position, not up down, possible lamp defect.
Real problem they had was emissions, they could only give it a just pass with a recommendation for injector clean. So what Cleaner...Heard this before somewhere....Aghhh on here...No swabbling boys onto what's the best one...

So when weather gets better still need to change brake cables, and clean out rear brake shoe area with new shoes.
Plus Service of engine oil, oil fuel filters, Alternator belt tensioner and Aux belts. This ringing noise around Aux belt area is beginning to annoy me.
- pleased you passed mate
- you have 6 warm [er] months coming up to return to the advisories
- I keep recommending a small parts bag for the handbrick. They should have a 'half life' of about 20 years. on our cars the are boogared in 5 years because of the crud and lousey fitters in main stealers and other disinterested service outlets.

Best of luck !

Old 10-31-2014, 08:57 PM

Best cleaners with very high PAO are BG244 or Archoil 6200. Go to powerenhancer website and on check out use discount code HALLOW for a 20% off.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:59 PM

When we had our MOT the tester commented on how low the emissions were. Must be that V-Power derv with the BG244 in my tank. Who knows!...

Old 11-01-2014, 04:20 PM

Thanks guys, all noted, but will need to keep the odd day for working on car, weather permitting, just to sort out these repairs before others show their head.